Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,663 Posts
Looks like it's in very good condition! That's not a super common factory code and I like the look of the oval 9696 arsenal stamp. You may want to unscrew the bayonet screw and rotate the bayonet 180 degrees to get it oriented the correct way, i.e., flat side down when folded into the stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like it's in very good condition! That's not a super common factory code and I like the look of the oval 9696 arsenal stamp. You may want to unscrew the bayonet screw and rotate the bayonet 180 degrees to get it oriented the correct way, i.e., flat side down when folded into the stock.
thanks for the info! its a very fun shooter and a profound piece of arms development. is there a SN index running? i would love to date it if somebody can point me in the right direction

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,460 Posts
Not sure why you would put your cleaning rod in the mail? See if you can stop shipment and get it back.

Once you get that bayo flipped and the cleaning rod installed, that one will look righteous.

(y)

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,663 Posts
thanks for the info! its a very fun shooter and a profound piece of arms development. is there a SN index running? i would love to date it if somebody can point me in the right direction
Yes, the first two digits are the year of production of the Type 56, where 1956 is the 1st year. Those “year digits” are likely in the 13-23 range, 1968-1978.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,663 Posts
These letters were added well after original manufacture before sale into the civilian market either by the exporter or importer. You can find rifles in the same serial number range with and without letters.

I think the most credible hypothesis is that the letters were added to ensure that the importer had no duplicate serial numbered firearms in their records, as required by US law. However, I haven’t seen any documented proof. With over 100 Arsenal stamps there was a lot of opportunity for duplicate numbers, since the arsenal number isn’t included as part of the serial number.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts