Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
Don't understand the question- are you asking if the serial number is added? It's a legitimate number. I've seen numbers as high as 311,000. Don't really like the type style, but these late war gunto had lots of variations. Can't make out the inspector stamp next to the number, can you tell what it is?

You know the rank tassel is an officer tassel, right? While there are actual photos of NCOs who are officer candidates holding NCO swords with officer tassels, it would be extremely rare to have one today as a bring-back.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the response Bruce. I apologize for the confusion on the serial number. I know it is a legitimate number but I was told they stopped numbering these after the 2nd variation of the late war swords. I should have mentioned that in the first post. So the sword could have come out of the factory with the numbered blade?

Yes, I am aware it is an officers tassel. I appreciate the information and will try to get a picture of the the inspector stamp later today.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
As Richard Fuller said "Anamolies abound to every supposed rule", and I can attest to that! One thing for sure, is that nothing is for sure! I know that there were refurb teams that followed some units. I have a Type 32 that looks like it was refurb'd more than once. With that type, they had a practice of restamping serial numbers, but I haven't heard of it being done to other types (which doesn't mean it wasn't done!).

Interesting note comes from Jim Dawon's book in which he speculated that the silk ito on this version "may" mean that it was meant for an officer, which would explain perfectly the officer tassel!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Panzerfaust44 and once again Bruce! The inspection stamp.

仁川陸軍造兵廠平城(壌)製造所検査印 刀身製造及び軍刀最終組立責任造兵廠を表示。
 Incheon Army Arsenal Pyongyang Factory inspection mark: "He"

·
Registered
65 Posts
mzam74,

I have a late war NCO sword which I believe is also from the Incheon Arsenal. It is numbered (rather crudely) 300371, not too far off of your serial number. I bought it in Youngstown, Ohio at a military curio shop in 1966 for $20. Photos attached.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
This is good to see. Silverfox's numbered blade from the same arsenal (though type-set seems different) confirms the Incheon Arsenal was numbering gunto when others had stopped.

On another note, Ohmura lists several inspection stamps that I have never seen on Thpe 95 gunto. I've seen the To and the Seki, now the He, but none of the others.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I'm reading up on it, and it's a little complicated, but Mukden Arms Factory (which made weapons) became part of Mukden Arsenal (which did not). Mukden Arsenal became Nan-man (South Manchurian) Arsenal (which DID make swords. Mukden is listed in Ohmura's study page on Type 95, so I'm assuming that means they made NCO gunto. I can't find specific reference to them making Officer gunto, but I wonder about Mukden being part of South Manchurian, which made the Mantetsu blade, if the Mukden factory was part of that or not. Don't know!

Ohmura's page: www.ohmura-study.net/208.html

·
Registered
65 Posts
As ww2collectors has asserted, I would assume that my NCO sword is genuine as I bought it way back in 1966 before the counterfeiting of these swords became popular. The military curio shop where I purchased it had all kinds of neat WWII German and Japanese items. German helmets galore and relatively cheap also. Wish that I had had the money back then to buy a lot more stuff.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
As ww2collectors has asserted, I would assume that my NCO sword is genuine as I bought it way back in 1966 before the counterfeiting of these swords became popular. The military curio shop where I purchased it had all kinds of neat WWII German and Japanese items. German helmets galore and relatively cheap also. Wish that I had had the money back then to buy a lot more stuff.
With the pics you've provided (could use a couple more of the blade and specifically tip), yours really looks good. The serial number type is horrible, but it is well known that the late-war swords were "poorly made." Plus, I have never seen a faked attempt at one with a patent-pending scabbard tip, though, I'm still quite new at this and don't have the background that some other collectors have. The date you purchased yours doesn't protect you from fakery as the Chinese and Australians were doing this from the end of the war. What it does help with is that the fakes early on were quite crude and easy to detect. Here lately, like in the last couple of years, the Chinese fakes have improved drasctically.

I'd still enjoy seeing the pics of your blade and tip, if you have time, but for now, I'd say yours looks good.

Matt - I'd really enjoy seeing more of your gunto, if didn't mind. I've seen enough of the handle, so pics of the blade and especially the blade-tip are helpful.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have noticed that the 300,000 range serial # are a much larger font than the 200,000K range that are made in japan. Nagoya or kokura ? I thought it was the jinsing arsenal but in Korea just the same. I never doubted this sword wasn't legit. I just didn't have the $$ to own it. They seem to be fetching roughly 2k as the last two auction results show.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
I have noticed that the 300,000 range serial # are a much larger font than the 200,000K range that are made in japan. Nagoya or kokura ? I thought it was the jinsing arsenal but in Korea just the same. I never doubted this sword wasn't legit. I just didn't have the $$ to own it. They seem to be fetching roughly 2k as the last two auction results show.
I think you're right about that, I've seen it too.

Matt and Silverfox - thanks for the additional pics! I really like both blades and feel good about their authinticity. Some guys will be freaked out about Matt's brass tsuba and new-looking ito, but I don't have a problem with that considering the late-war manufacuring situation going on when these were made. The blades and everything else looks legit. In truth, the brass tsuba is clearly a Japanese WWII tsuba. It's just odd to see it on a Type 95. The ito wrap is professional and looks legit, it's just the newness that throws it off; but being end-of-war, and well kept can explain that. I've seen some unbelievably mint gunto. So, again, all looks good!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You are welcome Bruce. Silverfox I wish I could have paid $20 for my late war 2nd variation. I am down the road from Youngstown, I will have to see if that shop is still there. Here are a few pics of mine. Serial number is not as crude as yours though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts