Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I thought maybe you may want to see this Type 99. It is a last ditch and the the pictures are awakening. This was brought back from the Islands and you can see that the fellow carrying it was hit with a flame thrower. Not a good day for him. Thanks
Joe T

·
Registered
6,240 Posts
Hi
I thought maybe you may want to see this Type 99. It is a last ditch and the the pictures are awakening. This was brought back from the Islands and you can see that the fellow carrying it was hit with a flame thrower. Not a good day for him. Thanks
Joe T
What are the series and serial #?

C/

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
Very neat, yet very grizzly just the same. I like to think rifles like these got pulled out of a pile of rifles that was set on fire on purpose. Not retrieved from a bunker after a squirt from a flame thrower while it was occupied. But thats just me. If it was the other way around what a terrible way to go.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
A warning - Picked up a charred 99 at last shoot out I attended, been in a garage fire. Sold it at SOS. Guy that bought it said he had some bunker photos , bunker hit with a flame thrower. As many of you know, I have no memory for names or faces, later Ruth noted that the guy that bought the rifle was the Nashville sniper faker. I have no doubt the rifle and photos will be sold together with tghe story that the rifle was recovered from the burned bunker.

·
Registered
483 Posts
The father of a co-worker served occupation duty in Nagoya just after the war ended. His job involved piling up surrendered rifles and other weapons, burning them then burying them. Apparently this was not at the Arsenal, but in the area of Nagoya.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
series

It is a series 34 ( sideways H ) serial # 87044. I have been after this rifle for several years and it has not been in a weiner roast or a garage fire.
Joe T

·
Registered
483 Posts
Is the burned area over the ground mum, or has the mum been ground through the burn?

·
Silver Bullet member
30,693 Posts
Also, look at at the two sections of the stock that are not burned, one seems to be at the tang area, and the other (very clear) is way up towards the front. Just grab a Type 99 as if you were going to charge at someone or swing it, and your hands will naturally fall to the same area.

In fact, if I were to play CSI, I would point out that the muzzle end is way more scorched than the rear, which would tell me after getting sprayed with a flamethrower, the soldier fell forward onto the rifle, extinguishing the back part while the front was exposed a bit longer.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
finally

Good catch by Fushigi Ojisan. He saw what none of the others did. The fuel in a flame thrower is gelatinous and if you look closely you can see where the person carrying the rifle had it by the forearm and the small of the stock which protected these areas. As for the less burnt areas, it looks as if the weapon was hit from the front and at an angle. I didn't get any of of my Japanese rifles from gun shows

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I looked at the burn marks, and Ive saw rifles burned exactly the same way by being in a rack when a camp caught fire.the burn pattern only really indicates that the muzzle was closer to the heat source than the butt was. Which doesnt in any way dispute or disprove that it could have been hit by a flame thrower (to me it doesnt quite look like gelled fuel burns ,however,its not my rifle and if you say it is well I wont dispute it)..It more resembles burns from being near a fire in a house or camp tho ,the rack protects the small of the wrist and the forend where it hangs..

·
Gold Bullet member
4,326 Posts
There was a short period of time between the last battles (Iwo, Saipan) where soldiers who were unable to ship home rifles right away and the grinding edict came out causing their battlefield pickups to be defaced. I bought a 99 from an end-of-campaign Saipan Marine who pulled it "out of a stack by the pier" before he left the island and it was ground.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
Brad, what series is your Siapan bring back? My 3rd was brought back from Siapan and my dad told me that they ground them on the trip back to the states.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts