Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Won this photo on eBay. Can't do link with this F'ing IPad. eBay number 171285824478. Either a last ditch type 99 or a Navy Special. Note the G.I.s comment regarding weight of Japanese rifle leads me to believe might be Navy Special. Your thoughts & can anyone post photo, enlarge photo or enhance details? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
I would say Last Ditch. The rear sight looks fixed, and it has a short hand guard. You can also it has no front sight "ears" and there doesn't look like there is a cleaning rod.

A navy special should have a full length hand guard. And if remembering right, those have a little bit heavier stock.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
I would say Last Ditch. The rear sight looks fixed, and it has a short hand guard. You can also it has no front sight "ears" and there doesn't look like there is a cleaning rod.

A navy special should have a full length hand guard. And if remembering right, those have a little bit heavier stock.
Don't know where you got your info, but the NS comes with both long and fixed sights, and both long and short hand guards, also with and without front sight ears.

They also had 4 different types of front band, and 4 types of butt plate.

And no doubt some we don't know of.

·
Registered
5,393 Posts
Don't know where you got your info, but the NS comes with both long and fixed sights, and both long and short hand guards, also with and without front sight ears.

They also had 4 different types of front band, and 4 types of butt plate.

And no doubt some we don't know of.

Navy's have a High receiver wall, from the photo, this clearly does not have one.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Ah-ha! You were the rat that bumped my low ball bid! I'm surprised there weren't more bids!
The photo sat all week without any bidding and I threw the low ball bid on it a few days ago as a place holder, then forgot about it. Good to see it go to a good collection.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Navy's have a High receiver wall, from the photo, this clearly does not have one.
This is the mis-information I was trying to set straight, you wrote:

"A navy special should have a full length hand guard."

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Jareth, I'm surprised you would have to ask such a question, what the mutt said about you must be correct,, that you don't know diddly about Japanese militaria. Doss

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well get out your magnifying glass or in your case microscope & give me your opinion. But yes AMutt is right as usual. Not many photos of " substitute" type 99s out there. None confirmed photos of Navy Specials that I'm aware of

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Substitute Type 99 is the term used for late war 99s w/wooden bps, short HG and fixed rear sights. Are you referencing something else? Have seen photos of Naval Specials somewhere, perhaps the Allan-Goddard book on Naval Specials or MRoJ? Maybe the one that ??? did on Japanese Rifles of WW II that began with the 38 and ignored the T30s?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Doss, if you carefully look at photo GI is either holding a last ditch/ substitute type 99 or a very late navy special. Which one do you think it is? Perhaps Don or others can offer their opinions. Regarding period photos I can't recall seeing a definate photo of any type of navy special rifle in the hands of Japanese OR GI hands. Love to be corrected on this one

·
Silver Bullet member
15,651 Posts
Jareth,
I looked at it a couple times, then once more. I've convinced myself that it is a typical LD or Sub. 99; I think I can see the bead of weld in the normal place on the front band.

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks gents. I wish I was tech savvy enough to enlarge. Butt stock looks odd as well as finish or lack of on chamber area behind fixed sight. Either way a bargain priced photo. I think I've only seen one last ditch rifle in a photo. It was a dead Japanese soldier partially buried in sand with rifle. Any others? Also still rethinking quote on back of photo regarding rifles weight. Not owning or handling a Garand I wonder ?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.