1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Author Topic
larsluthor
Gunboards Premium Member

USA
248 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2006 : 1:08:58 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Folks
was reading this article on Barrel making and saw some relevent info as well as a reference to Schultz and Larsen.. so here ya go.. everything you always wanted to know about barrel making the world over and then some!

http://www.border-barrels.com/articles/bmart.htm

kriggevaer
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2006 : 7:18:19 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mange, mange tak Lars - that is an excellent article - it is going in my notebook very quickly. Yup, Obermeyer and Krieger pretty much set a standard that others try to attain here in the USA, but old Hans Schultz was there first. Schultz & Larsen gained a reputation very early in the 20th Century for building the finest rifle barrels around. S&L rebarrelled hundreds if not thousands of Danish Krag-Jørgensen, Mauser 98, CG 63, and probably whatever came through the workshop door if it was a rifle. I see the new S&L company advertises the high quality of their barrels and I believe they are using some of the old company's barrel boring machinery, so I hope they keep up the tradition of excellence.
kriggevær

"Roland was a warrior from the Land of the Midnight Sun..."

sbhva

USA
1477 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2006 : 7:52:08 PM

I think I learned something today! I had a couple of interesting observations. First, both Badger Barrels and Boots Obermeyer are my neighbors here in Wisconsin. Second, Husqvarna used the forging technique for their rifles barrels, but I had no idea it is such a modern development. I know they were forging their shotgun barrels well before 1939.

I wonder if I can get Mr. Obermeyer to make me a copy of a lightweight contour Husqvarna barrel in 9.3?

Steve

kriggevaer
Gunboards.Com Gold Star Member

USA
1709 Posts
Posted - 01/21/2006 : 10:40:52 PM

Hey Steve,
If you have a chance to visit Obermeyer's shop I would go for it. I've several of his articles on barrels and the man is really amazing and I think he is still an active competition shooter too.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
SDHunter sent this along to complete larsluthor's old post - it is the article that is mentioned above, but that link no longer works, so I'm going to make an attachment of the article as a text file in a ZIP archive file. It is a good article on barrel making, well worth the read. Thanks SDHunter!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts