Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The guy who runs an outdoor range was showing off a very nice Star Modelo Super today, and said he has fired 25 rounds of Winchester 9x23 :eek:in it.

I suggested pointedly that number 26 or any subsequent round could result in a kaboom because of much higher pressure. He didn't want to hear it:mad:, and said it did not seem much hotter than the Blazer Largo ammo he has been shooting:rolleyes:.

Can someone point me to some ballistics tables I can print off for him? I would hate to lose OKC's only commercial outdoor range to a kabooming Super:eek:, and I am afraid that is a very real possibility. CB

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go to Winchester's Website:

http://www.winchester.com/products/catalog/handgundetail.aspx?symbol=X923W&bn=1&type=30

Years ago, CCI did make a bunch of Blazer 9mm Largo in a white box, and it shot quite well in the Destroyer Carbine. However, I know of a guy that tried a SINGLE round in a Destroyer Carbine and it locked the bolt up, and ruined the gun. The 9x23 operates in the 50,000 psi range!!!!!!!

I would not fire 9x23 in a 9mm Largo gun!!!!!

JW

·
Registered
710 Posts
Win 9x23 kicks at 583 ft lbs which is about a 31% increase over the hottest 9mm ammo that I have put thru an Astra 400. Now the Astra 400 is a tank of a gun and will swallow and spit everything from 38 ACP to 9mm Luger (not advised) but I’m not sure if putting the Win 9x23 down it (or the Star Modelo Super) is worth the risk, and since I don’t have a Star Modelo Super to know if they are built like a battleship, and even if they are, it may well be pushing the design envelope.

The problem in going very high pressure is that everything’s got to be right or there’s catastrophic failure. A gun originally designed to handle moderate pressures is suddenly now handling high test pressures on a regular basis. Every shot leaves debris in the barrel, which tends to increase resistance, thus raising pressure further….a recipe for disaster. The sensible shooter would be advised to either buy the proper ammo or handload the proper ammo.

Now if I can only figure out how to find my ejected 9mm Largo brass in the bush.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Unfortunately, some folks have to learn the hard way. He will keep that up until his gun blows up in his face. Sad loss of a good gun.

·
Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet Member
23,298 Posts
9mm Largo is dimensionally 9x23mm - BUT, it is not what is currently called 9x23 ammo - which is a much hotter commercial round.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Please educate me--I thought that 9 mm Largo was 9x23???
The 9mm Largo is also known under other names:
http://www.9mmlargo.com/ , for more education ;).

Also all Cartridges with a non-metric name shall receive a free-complimentary one (maybe from the European CIP, equivalent of the SAAMI...?), which seems to be used exclusively in administrative listings and identification, but occasionaly pops in discussions.
For any practical and safety purpose It is recommended to stick to the designation figuring on guns and ammo; something European shooters do anyways.
It can be said that Winchester chose "9x23" a bit lightly in that regard.

kg

1 - 8 of 8 Posts