Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
99,486 Posts
Interesting, some of those. And yes, some were quite graphic. Well, battlefield shots can be that way. I'm glad i didn't take any of the trucks full of VC/NVA bodies picked up in the aftermath of the (seriously failed) ground attack on Long Binh in Little Tet.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pics of the recently deceased... In northern I Corps, when the ARVINs managed to pull off an ambush or win a shoot out, the dead NVA were often brought down to Route 1 or Route 9 and lined up along the road with their weapons. Probably to try to impress the locals they had been out there in the bush taking of biz.

It was common practice for American office types from farther south to drive up and pose with the dead NVA - most often after paying the ARVINs a fee in MPC or cigarettes.

While I was always happy to see dead NVA, I just didn't care for the photography bit. SW

·
99,486 Posts
Pics of the recently deceased... In northern I Corps, when the ARVINs managed to pull off an ambush or win a shoot out, the dead NVA were often brought down to Route 1 or Route 9 and lined up along the road with their weapons. Probably to try to impress the locals they had been out there in the bush taking of biz.

It was common practice for American office types from farther south to drive up and pose with the dead NVA - most often after paying the ARVINs a fee in MPC or cigarettes.

While I was always happy to see dead NVA, I just didn't care for the photography bit
. SW
No, that isn't in fill agreement, sir. I have no photos of battle dead from those times and it suits me very well. Just not necessary.

I have some files with photos from crime scenes and autopsies. Those will be shredded along with other old files as time permits and mood is upon me.

·
Platinum Bullet member
10,803 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've destroyed nearly all the pics I took in Viet Nam. You spend a lifetime trying to forget stuff, they just aggravate things. SW

·
99,486 Posts
I have mine, but haven't looked at any in years. Can't decide to scan them and archive on DVDs or thumb drives, or destroy them. The ones from R&R in Sydney, those I'll keep if i can find them.

·
Registered
19,336 Posts
While I was always happy to see dead NVA, I just didn't care for the photography bit. SW
First time I heard of stuff like this. Those of us who humped the bush as Infantry had no time for such nonsense. We had all the HD of war thrust upon us and wanted no reminders . It was a miserable experience. I got no ethics about dead NVA / VC, it was war. I do think taking pictures of dead for souvenirs and war stories is an indicator of small men with weak minds.

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
I have mine, but haven't looked at any in years. Can't decide to scan them and archive on DVDs or thumb drives, or destroy them. The ones from R&R in Sydney, those I'll keep if i can find them.
Permit me to say, dear Clyde, we mustn't have secrets or some things we consider "ad usum Delphini". Not wanting to give anyone a lesson in history, it can be found on wikipedia. 50 years ago you had to have serious mentors to explain the same:).
I had the opportunity to see the "yard thick" photoalbums of a WWI buddy of my dad (yes, the one that went later on with the WaffenSS until Tcherkassy). I was a friend at his place but missed the opportunity to buy his WWI albums after he passed away. Not so important but they sold, at that time, for some three month salary I gained at that time (around 1970). I would have bought those albums because I knew my dad was absolutly not far away from this buddy in those times. We can't win them all!

·
99,486 Posts
Permit me to say, dear Clyde, we mustn't have secrets or some things we consider "ad usum Delphini". Not wanting to give anyone a lesson in history, it can be found on wikipedia. 50 years ago you had to have serious mentors to explain the same:).
I had the opportunity to see the "yard thick" photoalbums of a WWI buddy of my dad (yes, the one that went later on with the WaffenSS until Tcherkassy). I was a friend at his place but missed the opportunity to buy his WWI albums after he passed away. Not so important but they sold, at that time, for some three month salary I gained at that time (around 1970). I would have bought those albums because I knew my dad was absolutly not far away from this buddy in those times. We can't win them all!
Few (if any) of mine will offer much in the way of historical perspective. No loss to humanity if they disappear. If i do decide to dispose of them, simply because i haven't looked at them in many years and don't want to. Not a good year. Nothing exciting or nasty in them.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Few (if any) of mine will offer much in the way of historical perspective. No loss to humanity if they disappear. If i do decide to dispose of them, simply because i haven't looked at them in many years and don't want to. Not a good year. Nothing exciting or nasty in them.
You really shouldn't destroy them. While they may seem like nothing to you I could imagine some youngsters eyes lighting up the way my son's do when he finds a bayonet, helmet or canteen. A guy next to my job was tossing out an old broken russian? gas mask but I managed to stop him and get it. More light in the eyes for my boy from someone else's “garbage".

·
99,486 Posts
You really shouldn't destroy them. While they may seem like nothing to you I could imagine some youngsters eyes lighting up the way my son's do when he finds a bayonet, helmet or canteen. A guy next to my job was tossing out an old broken russian? gas mask but I managed to stop him and get it. More light in the eyes for my boy from someone else's “garbage".
Could be. Not a matter of great urgency, one way or another. Few have any information to provide context except in my own head, which certainly reduces any historical value to anyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts