Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Copper Bullet Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have any of you guys had problems with the blue box Lapua 158gr semi-jacketed 357 hollow points. I am getting about a third of the cases splitting. I have tried them in a Manhurin MR73, Ruger GP100, S&W 686 and a Marlin 1894CS.

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,901 Posts
I had that problem with some factory ammo many years ago, so I wrote to their customer service dept. Their answer is that they manufacture ammunition to work safely and accurately in all modern firearms, and that is their primary focus. They don't sell their ammo with thoughts of reloading the empties - that's what their reloading components division was for.

I didn't like their answer, so I simply quit buying their ammo. Since then, I've picked up a lot of once-fired brass of theirs & have had no problems with reloads splitting.

Contact Lapua, but don't be surprised if they're not all that sympathetic. After all, they want you to buy more ammo. After the round is fired, it doesn't matter (to them) what condition the brass is.

I could see having a problem with brass splitting due to one gun with an oversized chamber, but you're getting the same problem with splitting brass from several guns.

·
Registered
13,944 Posts
I had that problem with some factory ammo many years ago, so I wrote to their customer service dept. Their answer is that they manufacture ammunition to work safely and accurately in all modern firearms, and that is their primary focus. They don't sell their ammo with thoughts of reloading the empties - that's what their reloading components division was for.
I don't see where the OP mentioned anything about his problem being with reloads.

A pretty minimum expectation I have about factory ammunition is that the brass holds together, whether I plan to reload it or not.

I am assuming he is talking factory loads here, and if those cases are splitting in numerous different chambers (like they are), somebody on that production line was doing something wrong.

·
Copper Bullet Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You are correct Rondo, not reloads. I have 5 more boxes so I will probably open another box and see if they do the same thing. I also shook the cases and had another friend who shoots quite a bit shake them too and neither one of us could the powder moving or feel it moving. He wondered if the powder went bad some how and had stuck together thus effecting its burn rate. It is stored with all my other ammo and I have had no problems with any of it or my reloading components. It is just really surprising given the consistency and quality of all the other Lapua ammo I have shot.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
It's a problem with the brass and not the load otherwise you would have noticed the difference between it and other normal ammo. Check the boxes to see if they are all the same lot number. Then contact the company and let them know about the brass splitting in different firearms. They will want to know the lot number or numbers. Then they will most likely want you to ship it back to them (on their dime) and they will replace it with new ammo. Quite often they will include extra to compensate for your trouble.

·
Copper Bullet Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I sent them an email yesterday and got a reply back the same day. They asked for pictures of it so we will see what they say.

·
Copper Bullet Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The US Lapua rep got back to me and said he was working on some kind of help for me so we will see what they do. He was quick to respond to my emails and said the guy who can help is out until next week. He told me Lapua ceased 357 production about 15 years ago.

·
Copper Bullet Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After some back and forth and sending pictures to the Lapua contact here in the USA it looks like they are going to trade me out reloading components for the 357 ammo. I am waiting on them to send me the stickers to put on the box to send to them. I will update again when it is resolved one way or the other. So far they have be very good to work with.

·
Copper Bullet Member
339 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well it took a while due to the Lapua rep I was working with being so busy but they did a terrific job in the end. They worked to find some in stock brass that they could trade out with me. They sent me 200 .308 and 200 6.5 grendel plus are supposed to be sending some old stock 38 Super cases they had laying around. All in all I would say this confirms why I buy Lapua stuff. Their main interest was getting the old stuff out of circulation so something bad did not happen with it. I know they don't want a bad rap from bad ammo but it also shows a concern for the customers shooting it. What a nice group to work with.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.