Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet Member with clusters
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just finished a minor remodel of my den, new ceiling, lighting, and carpet, so took a few photos before bringing the furniture back. Over the years friends would ask to see my den when visiting, and I would dutifully explain the history of Japanese weapons from earliest to latest as shown hanging on the wall. And invaribly someone would comment that the collection was really impressive. And I would modestly tell them that this is the junk, that I have to keep the nice stuff in storage. They wouldn't understand 'til I told them that these are mostly $20-50 rifles and not my primary interest. Looking at the postings and quoted prices today makes me realize the changes taking place in collecting since the advent of the internet, where as Ken H. pointed out that the internet has brought together the item of interest and the man with the money. In my case a few years ago I had to finally have a burglar alarm installed. Then I made it redundant with a back-up system I installed. Collecting just aint what it used to be. Now you have to worry about it.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,010 Posts
I see some pretty nice "junk" there. I'd hate to have my collection sequestered in a safe or in storage. Geeze, I like to walk into the room & look at it. I've still got lots of small stuff in boxes. Gotta go through these boxes & sort this stuff out next.

·
Kryptonite member
5,765 Posts
Fred, You either need to paint the wall behind the rifles white or leave the walls "as is" and paint the rifles white, the latter is what Arisakamutt would do. Rodent 48

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Fred, we never got those additional pictures of your type 99 "carbine". Great display of your lower end junk ;)

·
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dawgs, when I built the house back in '72, I had to have a den and with walnut paneling. It's real, and I wonder if it's even still available. I then built a secretary desk, hex shaped end table, and computer desk (later), all in solid walnut. I then hung the rifles on the wall, hoping a thief would not see them, that they were all camoflaged. Must have worked so far; even I don't see the rifles.

Jareth, I did post additional photos of the carbine. Please check the thread.

Chip, a listing of the rifles is as follows, and from left to right and then top to bottom on the racks:

1st photo (all carbines): 1) T22, 2) T22, 3) T38 Koishikawa, 4) T38 Nagoya 5th series, 5) T38 Nagoya 4th series, 6) T38 Mukden 6th series, 7) T44 1st variation front band, 8) T44 2nd variation band, 9) T44 Kokura 1st series with 3rd variation band, 10) T44 Nagoya 2nd series with 3rd variation band, 11) T99 carbine.

2nd photo: 1) T99 Nagoya 2nd series, 2) T99 Howa 9th series, 3) T99 Toyo Kogyo 33rd series, 4) T99 Izawa 9th series, 5) T99 Nagoya 5th series, 6) T99 early Kokura CC, 7) T99 Naval Special.

3rd photo: 1) T38 Nagoya CC rifle, 2) T38 Mukden early rifle, 3) T38 Nagoya in 2 mil range, 4) T38 in 8mm. Mauser caliber, 5) T38 Jinsen rifle, 6) Type I, 7) T38 Mexican, 8) T38 trainer, 9) Mukden Mauser, 10) T99 Toyo Kogyo long rifle, 11) T99 Nagoya long rifle

4th photo: 1) Type 13 rifle, 2) Type 18 rifle, 3) Type 18 carbine, 4) Type 22 rifle, 5) Type 30 rifle, 6) Type 35 rifle, 7) Type 35/45 rifle.

I think all of these, or at least most of them, are in MROJ. I haven't messed with the arrangement in 20-30 years.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,010 Posts
I'm a big fan of walnut as well - wonderful wood!
Looks great to me & you need to reset the date on your camera! ;)

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
Fred,

First, what's the story (ID) on your T-38 trainer? Second, when you have the time, could you re-post photos of your T-22 prototype(?) carbine that you were in the process of re-stocking? I was most impressed with that example!

C/

·
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Chip, I didn't look at the trainer carefully. It's a mixture of T99 and T38 parts. However, it is unmarked except for serial number 1. T99 front band, peep rear sight graduated to 17, numeral 1 on bolt handle with "P" and "he" inspection symbols above, single hole in receiver at chamber location. Well made piece. I lust after number ones, and of course you know it's the first training rifle ever made in Japan. Your #1 Type 5 (4 ?) would look good on the wall with it. I'll find those photos of the Type 22 carbine and post them. I really need to take the time to make more photos of the carbine. The stock stain color did not show properly in the photo because of lighting and my lack of knowledge about this camera. I'm the guy they make cartoons about - I refuse to ask for or read directions, just bull on thru.

·
Registered
6,224 Posts
I didn't look at the trainer carefully. It's a mixture of T99 and T38 parts. However, it is unmarked except for serial number 1. T99 front band, peep rear sight graduated to 17, numeral 1 on bolt handle with "P" and "he" inspection symbols above, single hole in receiver at chamber location. I lust after number ones, and of course you know it's the first training rifle ever made in Japan.
Yes, that's right. I'd forgotten we discussed this T-99 trainer before on the old Gunboards. I guess I'll have to hold onto the T-5 (4?) for a little longer, as this SN 1 appeals to me a bit as well.

I'll find those photos of the Type 22 carbine and post them. I really need to take the time to make more photos of the carbine. I'm the guy they make cartoons about - I refuse to ask for or read directions, just bull on thru.
Yes, please do re-post those photos for us again. I really like seeing (and buying when I can) the prototype and experimental rifles. I'm also something of a fatalist where electronic devices are concerned. When I get hung up on something, I figure I can either look through the manual for hours only to never succeed in finding what I could have figured out on my own in a few minutes of fiddling.

C/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts