Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought this would be the best place in inquire.

This box of AMMO came out of an estate auction along with a nice DCM 03A3.

Cartridges look good. No corrosion, head stamp is LC 62 MATCH, primers have red sealant.

Box marked (pic) M72 LOT LC 12158, bullet 173 grains, Velocity 2640

Assume this was made for Camp Perry.

I seem to recall reading somewhere that some older Lake City Ammo was not safe.

I am thinking this being made in 1962 to Nat Match standards it should be alright.

Also though it would be the perfect stuff to bust the cherry on this nice old Springfield.

Then again maybe it ain't wise, or maybe the ammo has too much collector value to do that.

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I wouldn't shoot it. Seal it up in a sandwich bag and forget you have it for about 20 more years...

·
Registered
586 Posts
LC62 Match ammunition...

is excellent stuff, perfectly safe to shoot. It is not particularly valuable, nor is it National Match ammunition (which would be so-marked on the box and headstamped 'LC 62 NM'. The M72 match ammunition was made and issued for marksmanship activities and sniping, while NM lots were always specially manufactured for that purpose, and marked appropriately.
mhb - Mike

·
Registered
526 Posts
I've got 2 cans of this ammo left, and it's very accurate. Wish I had a couple of cases!

·
Registered
992 Posts
1962 is the first year of " actual " mass production of M72 " MATCH " at Lake City after they took over production from Frankford. T291/M72 was designed from the start as MATCH ammo for competion.

M72 It isn't uber rare, I have about 10k rds of it ( 67-68 ) in my basement, the earlier years/Lots are harder to find for those looking to collect a box of each year.

That box is in real poor shape, I'd just shoot it. That box in mint un-opened condition would only be worth around $ 25-35.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts