Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the process of cleaning up a M96 I just picked up and am curious if someone could help translate part of the label, shown below, which is attached to the left side of the butt stock.

I am guessing the second line is a name, and am curious about the first line. Maybe a town & district? Unit abbreviation?

I don’t have great photos yet of the whole thing but it is a CG made in 1901, everything appears to match, and it was full of grease. Pretty sure it hasn’t been fired since import...

Thanks!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Replacement stock received. May have a chance to shoot it this weekend. I will report back...

Something about the replacement stock wood is different...look and feel, from my other Swedes. In looking at Dutchman’s site, I wonder if it might be maple. Our weather sucks so I can’t get good photos of it currently but I wonder if anyone can share maple photos I could compare against until I can get some decent photos taken? Or other telltale indicators? Many thanks in advance!

·
Registered
849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Interesting. I need to share some decent photos so you guys can weigh in.

It doesn’t look like the m94 posted, which is spectacular by the way. It kind of looks like Dutchman’s first example and kind of resembles Stewbabys as well. And to the touch it feels nothing like the walnut and beech stocks I have...

·
Moderator/Diamond with Oak Clusters Bullet member
9,683 Posts
Beech is the most confused wood type used by the Swedes . Grain pattern varies greatly & color depending on the stain used in the arsenal .

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,220 Posts
Got an old wood basketball court around? They're maple. Bowling lanes are mostly maple.

Show us some pictures especially of the grain or interesting spots.

·
Silver Bullet Member
3,220 Posts
I'd go with beech also. The serial number in the barrel channel might confirm it since maple runs through a specific time frame.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.