Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have one of the Century L1A1s with the Imbel Receiver on it. It has a problem in that it will only cycle the action in the "0" or "1" setting on the gas block.(Yes, the plug is in the right way) Do any of you out there have a similar problem or have any ideas for a slolution to this? The rifle is a beauty and I really don't like the situation I'm in with it as it's currently only one of two of these I own. The one on the top is the problem child, lower is a DSA receivered gun in Woodland camo with original Maranyl furniture. Here are some pictures. Again, any help is really appreciated on this issue. Thank you all. Andy

·
Registered
137 Posts
I don't own one of these but i've spent a little time with my Father-in-laws. As you already have experience with these i'm sure you've thought of this. My Father in law calls me saying he had just bought one but it wouldn't cycle at all no matter what setting it was on. I stopped by to look at it. Took a second for me to realize the gas valve could be turned far enough to leave the gas port wide open no matter what setting the valve was on. I just screwed the thing all the way closed. Next trip to the range it cycled just fine and he adjusted it down to the lowest setting that still would cycle the rifle. He bought it from the distributor but for some reason the valve was "wide open" right from Century. He just just assumed the valve would only make one pass thru the numbers and stop. Just a small oversight on his part, but you know what happens when ya assume:)

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plug is in..

I wish that were the case. I have seen people complain about loose actions in rifles and have it be a screw that needs tightening. I have about exhausted every thought on my mind as far as to what it could be. I replaced the gas piston, springs, swapped bolts, etc... Next thing after that I'm going to bore out the gas port if I can't make it work. I even went so far as to pull the recoil buffer I put in it as well.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Prvi

Prvi 07 headstamped FMJ and commercial Winchester loads. I haven't shot it in a couple months, but this has been common with this rifle.

·
Silver Bullet member
676 Posts
That ammo should be fine.
There must be something creating enough resistance to require the use of all the gas available in the system, or, there is something reducing the amount of gas available. Check the complete gas system for obstructions that may reduce available gas. How close does the plug fit, a very loose fit can leak gas. Check the carrier for binding. Check the chamber for burrs and corrosion. Look at the brass you have fired in the rifle, recurring gouges or marks? ( not to be confused with normal ejection violence) Get out your precision measuring tools and check your parts dimensions against the same part in your rifle that works.

·
Silver Bullet member
12,927 Posts
my imbel has always been 100%. hope you get yours ticking.... it's prettier than mine.

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Sounds like a gas leak.Is the pin installed on your gas tube? My L1A1 cycles reliably on a setting of 4,which is usual.There is one school of thought that if the rifle can be set to work at all,it's OK.If it were mine,I would closely check the gas tube for leaks where it threads in,and change the gas plug too.Good luck.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Sounds like my Century L1A1 when I first got it. It would only cycle on 1. I replaced the plug, gas piston and for good measure I put a small amount of teflon tape on the gas tube threads. Now runs reliably on 4.

You might want to check to see if there is too much grease in the recoil spring tube as this can cause too much resistance as well, causes sort of a hydro lock.

·
Registered
16,397 Posts
One check that hasn't been mentiioned yet.
Remove the bolt & carrier.
Remove the as plu & take the sprin off of the as piston.
Hold the rifle at a 45 deree anle & see if the piston runs freely all the way.
If it doesn't then the piston is bindin.
If it is try rollin the piston on a lass sheet to see if it's out of line, a lot of Century pistons had problems.
(I just discovered the "Jee" key is tuck on my Kbd. Insetr letter 'jee" as needed.):eek:

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's why I love these Forums

You guys are a huge help to me. I'm going to try the teflon tape idea and check the gastube pin. Plonker, I was wondering if you had something against "G". The plug seems tight, but I'll try another and get out the calipers... It is too pretty to be a wallhanger like now. The piston seems to be straight as I replaced it originally with a Tapco one, since removed. It moves freely and doesn't seem to bind, but maybe there is a bit too much grease in the recoil spring housing for it. That's getting cleaned out and I'll do a report as soon as I can get to my land. It's snowed shut and 20 below right now.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do too

I'm a handy guy, so I think I'll be able to fix it with all the advice I've gotten here. Hopefully it'll be up and running ASAP. The rifle shoots 20 round groups into a golfball at 40 yards, so I'm really gonna be pissed if it doesn't stop stovepiping on me. I saw a Century R1A1 at the show with a Hesse receiver for $1799.00 today. Figured that's about two and a half times it's value. Saw another guy with a SAR 48 for $800.00. I woulda bought that one, but I have two already... Andy

·
Registered
16,397 Posts
maybe there is a bit too much grease in the recoil spring housing
Any grease in there is too much. Oil is what's needed as the grease acts like a damper when firing. Oh, yes I got a new keyboard as well:D

·
Registered
16,397 Posts
Aww, Gee:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I`m going through this at present - I narrowed it down to a gas port misalignment issue , along with an undersized port in the barrel. I trimmed my barrel back , drilled the port out , but didn`t drill all the way into the bore. My oops , now corrected.

Heading to the range after work Tuesday to proof it.

As mentioned by others , check your gas block / gas port . I got mine off with a mallet and punches.

HTH,
cevgunner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts