Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello French collectors,I have found information on this Rifle in single shot configurations but no information on the Rifle I have.Mine has a box magazine possibly 5 shot.This is a Rifle not a carbine.Has a date of 1886 in the stock.All matching that I can see.The bolt handle is straight,not bent.On top of the receiver there is a shield with a S in it.Under that is the serial # 168,behind that is another mark possibly a crown.On the right side of the receiver there is SICHAMOND below that is a cannon,on the left side of the cannon there is the letter P and on the right side there is the letter G.On the left side of the receiver there are what looks like L.F.A.P. and below that St.Denis. It has a stacking rod and on the left side of the stock there is the cleaning rod.No import mark.Any help with this to include Value and rareity would be appreciated. J.M. P.S. I do not own a digital camera so pictures ( and I know they would help Greatly ) are not possible.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Greetings,

You apparently have one of the weapons that was tested by the French Military. I have a similar weapon, only mine has the bent down bolt and does have a cleaning rod. I have found a number of differences in the magazine weapons of this type. Some have a stock that looks much like the Berthier while others lack the wood over the magazine. Some have cleaning rods and some do not. Whatever the style, you have a rather uncommon rifle. The Daudeteau was never adopted by the military, but I recall references that it was utilized during WWI when weapons of any stripe were utilized. The cartridges for this rifle can be expensive too (originals). Brass is available from Buffalo Arms as well as reloading dies.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
L.Daudeteau Rifle

Hello and Thanks for your reply, The stock on my Rifle is straight unlike yours looking more like the Berthier.I can't find any Info on the many variations of these Rifles but I'm sure there is something out there. Regards, J.M.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Greetings,

I realize you can't take pictures, but can you send the specs? You know, overall length, barrel length, etc.? I've been searching for information on these rifles too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
L.Daudeteau Rifle

The Barrel length looks like 30 1/2 inches with overall length of the Rifle 50 1/2 inches. The stock has finger grooves and there is a short hand guard.I have seen the single shot versions sell for $500-$700. But I haven't seen another one like this with a box Magazine.It has been in my gun safe for quite a few years. I'm not even sure that the cleaning rod that is there is the correct one but that's the one that was in it when I became the owner.The Rear sight goes from 9 to 20.Meters ??? I am thinking of selling it but I would like to know it's value to be fair on both ends. Thank's. J.M.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Daudeteau value

Greetings,

It is always dangerous to tell someone what something is worth without seeing the item. I think the single shot 1871 conversions are way overpriced and there aren't enough magazine weapons out there to set a reasonable price by comparison. If you decide to sell, PM me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
L.Daudeteau Rifle

Hello, Tried to PM you but There is a message that says you have chosen not to receive PM's ??? Let me know.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Daudeteau rifles

The markings on your Daudeteau rifle stand for:

SFAP/St Denis = Société française d'Armes Portatives, based in Saint Denis near Paris

StChamond = Compagnie des Forges et Aciéries de la Marine based in Saint Chamond

The daudeteau patent was bought by Compagnie des Forges et Aciéries de la Marine who built it and tried unsuccessfully to sell it to the French government in 1896, and a subsidiary was created (SFAP) to sell it abroad.

The Daudeteau was not used by the French Army during WWI, altough about 10 to 15.000 rifles and carbines were built and sold by Manufrance on the civilian market.

The rifle on the pictures is the "B" model in 6.5mm with a 5 shots magazine that was tested in 1896 by the French Army, and found very well made and very effective.
The commercial decision made àt the turn of the century to stick with the 8x50R cartirdge and the 1.500.000 Lebel rifles in inventory was made easy by the adoption of the D bullet.

kelt

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
L.Daudeteau Rifle

Hi Kelt,
Thank You very much for the help in identifying the markings on my Rifle.Information seems to be scarce on these.I have made a copy of this page for the future.
Kind Regards, Joe

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello,
This rifle it is not a regular model. It is a mix between a Daudeteau and the stock of the French Berthier rifle.
I think it is an experimental model by the Companiey des Forges et Aciéries de Saint-Chamond (PG letters from both sides of the drawing of a cannon). The production models wore the letters A or B. The specials models the letter S.

Daudeteau Carbine.JPG

Greetings,

You apparently have one of the weapons that was tested by the French Military. I have a similar weapon, only mine has the bent down bolt and does have a cleaning rod. I have found a number of differences in the magazine weapons of this type. Some have a stock that looks much like the Berthier while others lack the wood over the magazine. Some have cleaning rods and some do not. Whatever the style, you have a rather uncommon rifle. The Daudeteau was never adopted by the military, but I recall references that it was utilized during WWI when weapons of any stripe were utilized. The cartridges for this rifle can be expensive too (originals). Brass is available from Buffalo Arms as well as reloading dies.

·
Super Moderator
9,260 Posts
The French Navy also trialled a M95 Model...saw one in the Federal Police Forensic Lab. in B.A (Argentina).

DocAV

·
Moderator / Silver Bullet member
7,033 Posts
I posted somewhere here long ago the Carabine I had bought ... I will have to search for the post on it.
If need be I will re-do the pictures and information on them, just give me time.

Patrick

1 - 15 of 15 Posts