Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Silver Bullet member
34,767 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My British expat friend of the family came across one of these at a gun show and was curious about it. Kutmaster didn't manufacture M1 bayonets, though its parent company, Utica Cutlery, sure did.

My own theory is that these were made in the postwar period from leftover M1 blades.

Blade Dagger Knife Sword Bowie knife

Overall view of the knife, its far more substantial than the M1 bayonets cut down into 5" combat knives during the Korean War. Note the M1 grips and lack of a latch.

Auto part

Only marking on the piece

Tire Wheel Auto part Rim Metal

So not only was the muzzle ring removed, but the slot for the button was filled in as well. I didn't look too hard at the back to see if it was filled in as well, sorry.

·
Platinum Bullet member
7,029 Posts
Kutmaster was awarded contracts for both M1 bayonets, and M3 fighting knives. Uncle Sam provided specs, and materials. Part way in to the contract, government inspectors found the specs on all production was off. The contract was cancelled, and Kutmaster was not paid for the work they did. After the war, what they had produced, was turned into hunting knives. You will find the above knife, and M3 blades with stack leather handles, and "D" ring pommels. Most of the M1s will have no hole for the latch button, or slot for the bayonet lug. If the slot is present, it is noticeably off-set. Value without scabbard, maybe $30.00.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.