Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a all matching kropatschek short rifle . The problem I have is
the cleaning rod is broken off in the stock . There is about a 3 inch piece left in the stock .
I am trying to figure how to remove it ? I have thought about drilling the nut in the side of the stock and welding it up after I get the rod out . It was also suggested
about cutting the stock on the inside , but I thinking hard about that .
Anyone else have this problem ?
hope someone has a easy fix ?

·
Platinum Bullet member
5,036 Posts
If the retaining nut is accessible from inside the stock I'd try to cut it there and then replace the nut afterwards. I have a Finned M91/30 that had just the threads snapped off in the nut - I was able to remove the nut from the inside and get the piece out that way, no damage to the stock or nut. I haven't had my Kropatchek out of the stock yet so I'm not sure where or if you can get at it from the inside...

·
Administrator
12,075 Posts
I had exactly the same problem - what's with the broken rods? My solution was very simple - I cut a slot in the rod's face (like in a screw head) and used a screwdriver to unscrew it. Drop some WD-40 over the nut (it is visible from the outside) and let it stay overnight before you unscrew the rod.

·
Registered
4,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I had exactly the same problem - what's with the broken rods? My solution was very simple - I cut a slot in the rod's face (like in a screw head) and used a screwdriver to unscrew it. Drop some WD-40 over the nut (it is visible from the outside) and let it stay overnight before you unscrew the rod.
This would be good except the rod is broken off in the stock about half way between rear band and nut .

·
Administrator
12,075 Posts
That's bad... I don't know what to tell you, except leave it alone.

·
Gold Bullet member
703 Posts
Your only other option is to carefully drill out the inletted nut and open up the nut with a dremel tool and proper bit. Keep duct tape on the stock around the nut as you open out the nut. Like working on a damn molar in someone's mouth but seems to be the only way to get the threaded end of the rod loose from the nut. Then tap at the exposed end of the rod until it starts to move. The trick here is that once you have the rod moving forward you will have to use successively long and somewhat flexible pieces of small rod as a drift to keep pushing the remant forward. If the remant is rusted into the wood it may not move. Obviously you run the risk of chipping the stock. I can make you a properly sized and threaded nut to replace the damged one. Your other option has already been suggested which is to leave it alone. This is the best I can come up with. Good luck, Joe

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
If the rifle was a nice collector grade I would work at getting out the above way....

If it were a shooter grade I would probably just leave it. I have a Finned M91 Mosin that has the same problem, and I just left the rifle without a cleaning rod and just called it "service damage". If it came to you like that I would just say the ghost of the soldier who did it 100+ years ago is coming back to haunt you!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts