Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Krag,

Here are the only two photos I have in my collection of Japanese T-99 rifles in use. Both were published in the Asahi Shimbun on Dec. 12, 1942. I don't know their current copyright status under Japanese law but, according to my notes, these images were re-published by Sanseido Co., Ltd.; 2-22-14, Misako-cho; Chiyoda-ku; Tokyo Japan 101. My considered advice would be to check with the above publisher before using them in a for-profit manner.

C/

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Wow..........they are great! I have checked with one of my publishers and he assured me that photos that old (and probably taken by a Japanese gov't photographer) are not covered under copyright any longer. But I will credit them accordingly.

I really want to thank you for your help.

If you'll e-mail me your name I'll list you in my "Thanks to...." paragraph.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
Krag

Neither your email or PM is turned on.

You have to go to the User CP and activate them.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Sorry 'bout that. They're enabled now.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Seinen
Those are fascinating. There were often shortages of rifles so what were women doing with 99's. I could maybe see beater type 38's but brandy new 99's ? Wow.
I'd guess at that late stage of the war, anyone who could shoulder a rifle was given the opportunity to train, especially housewives who belonged to women's patriotic organizations. On a related note, if you look in Frank Allan's new T-38 book, you'll see one photo of a Japanese high school girl taking marksmanship training with a T-38 rifle.

C/

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
They're probably just propaganda photos, I doubt they issue new rifles to a womens' militia unit. The poor ladies probably got sharpened bamboo stakes!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Krag,

Here are the only two photos I have in my collection of Japanese T-99 rifles in use. Both were published in the Asahi Shimbun on Dec. 12, 1942. I don't know their current copyright status under Japanese law but, according to my notes, these images were re-published by Sanseido Co., Ltd.; 2-22-14, Misako-cho; Chiyoda-ku; Tokyo Japan 101. My considered advice would be to check with the above publisher before using them in a for-profit manner.

C/
Cool photo but I think that it is a early 1942 photo or older as the rifles have monopads and by mid 1942 they no longer made type-99 with them.

·
Registered
6,360 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool photo but I think that it is a early 1942 photo or older as the rifles have monopads and by mid 1942 they no longer made type-99 with them.
Perhaps, but remember: the Japanese maintained significant stockpiles of arms for use. This rifle could have been simply pulled from existing inventory for use in the photo.

C/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.