Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Krag,

Here are the only two photos I have in my collection of Japanese T-99 rifles in use. Both were published in the Asahi Shimbun on Dec. 12, 1942. I don't know their current copyright status under Japanese law but, according to my notes, these images were re-published by Sanseido Co., Ltd.; 2-22-14, Misako-cho; Chiyoda-ku; Tokyo Japan 101. My considered advice would be to check with the above publisher before using them in a for-profit manner.

C/

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Wow..........they are great! I have checked with one of my publishers and he assured me that photos that old (and probably taken by a Japanese gov't photographer) are not covered under copyright any longer. But I will credit them accordingly.

I really want to thank you for your help.

If you'll e-mail me your name I'll list you in my "Thanks to...." paragraph.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,586 Posts
Krag

Neither your email or PM is turned on.

You have to go to the User CP and activate them.

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Sorry 'bout that. They're enabled now.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Seinen
Those are fascinating. There were often shortages of rifles so what were women doing with 99's. I could maybe see beater type 38's but brandy new 99's ? Wow.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Seinen
Those are fascinating. There were often shortages of rifles so what were women doing with 99's. I could maybe see beater type 38's but brandy new 99's ? Wow.
I'd guess at that late stage of the war, anyone who could shoulder a rifle was given the opportunity to train, especially housewives who belonged to women's patriotic organizations. On a related note, if you look in Frank Allan's new T-38 book, you'll see one photo of a Japanese high school girl taking marksmanship training with a T-38 rifle.

C/

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
They're probably just propaganda photos, I doubt they issue new rifles to a womens' militia unit. The poor ladies probably got sharpened bamboo stakes!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Those are early t99 with monopods. probably propaganda.
Very possible, in order to show the world the unity of the Japanese people. Original poster said the pictures were published Dec. 1942, so maybe there was no shortage of Type 99s at that point in time.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
Any chance they are factory workers poseing for a photo op, before they ship out the rifles?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Krag,

Here are the only two photos I have in my collection of Japanese T-99 rifles in use. Both were published in the Asahi Shimbun on Dec. 12, 1942. I don't know their current copyright status under Japanese law but, according to my notes, these images were re-published by Sanseido Co., Ltd.; 2-22-14, Misako-cho; Chiyoda-ku; Tokyo Japan 101. My considered advice would be to check with the above publisher before using them in a for-profit manner.

C/
Cool photo but I think that it is a early 1942 photo or older as the rifles have monopads and by mid 1942 they no longer made type-99 with them.

·
Registered
6,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cool photo but I think that it is a early 1942 photo or older as the rifles have monopads and by mid 1942 they no longer made type-99 with them.
Perhaps, but remember: the Japanese maintained significant stockpiles of arms for use. This rifle could have been simply pulled from existing inventory for use in the photo.

C/

1 - 13 of 13 Posts