Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spent a few days in Seoul, so I did what any good gun collector would do and went to the war museum.

They had an exhibit of Chinese rifles and I snapped some photos of a rifle labeled "Mosin Nagant 91/30"

Attachments

·
Registered
6,643 Posts
My 42 Izhevsk has the same funky finish under the refurb paint.

·
Registered
20,639 Posts
Is that a 1945 Izhevsk M44 ? If that is and that is a common "finish" on these ,
then the patina on my 1945 Izhevsk M44 bring back Viet Cong war trophy (I brought
it back to be specific and I know in 8 digit coordinates where it came from
in IV Corps , RVN)....if that is the finish, then this VC M44 has its original finish.

What I see is not neglect and hard use ???: they made them with this funky finish ?? That
may now explain its patina.

So...now I wonder...did all 1945 Izhevsk M44 have no rifling in them like this bring back VC M44 ?
I can shoot and it key holes at 25 yds. It misses the state of Virginia if shot beyond 25 yards.

·
Administrator
19,287 Posts
I have a Korean bring back as well and its a 45 date also.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
I have not been there in several years, but I went shortly after they built it and some of the labels are a bit fanciful or misleading. I know they had more than one obvious toy gun (as in plastic cap gun) in the display case labeled as a real gun. On the under-advertising side, they had several Garand snipers without optics labeled as just Garands. I think they were Cs and not Ds to boot.

·
Diamond Bullet Member
9,096 Posts
Thanks for the pictures! I have never seen that odd finish, but it appears to be on the entire rifle.

The very detailed Korean TV series "Comrades" shows Mosin PU snipers, M44s, lots of PPS-43s and some 91/30s in use by the Chinese Army and the North Koreans, plus a few earlier Chinese bolt-action rifles I can't easily identify. Also, what looks like a TT and Nagant revolvers. The PPS-43s were apparently prevalent in Chinese hands - we called 'em "burp guns" just as we called the PPSh-41s in WWII.

The American-made weapons with the South Koreans are handled very well in that series including proper loading and firing of everything from Thompsons and Garands and M1 carbines to LMGs. Unlike American movies, they actually run out of ammo quite regularly and guns fired the right number of rounds, unlike our movies where SMGs can fire for minutes at a time without a reload.

The early 1950s American Korean War movie "The Steel Helmet" shows 91/30s in the North Korean's hands and a lot of proper gear on the US infantry.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)

The last photo is sideways but is a sign from the DMZ.

I took photos of many other rifles other than Mosins, maybe I will upload them to a slides how and post them. I saw pps rifles but didn't know what they were. The museum is massive, the size of a large airport complex, I was the only foreign tourist at the time, and the staff was extremely friendly.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.