Another Kind of Swedish Steel
Printed from: Gunboards
Topic URL: http://old.gunboards.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=142300
Printed on: 09/11/2007
Topic:
Topic author: kriggevaer
Subject: Another Kind of Swedish Steel
Posted on: 01/07/2006 11:51:21 PM
Just an OT for the fun of it - every Husqvarna owner needs a Mora made knife or two or three...

Download Attachment:
165.12 KB

These are a few of my Swedish knives. I bought my first Mora made knife at the Hudson Bay store in Red Lake, Ontario, Canada many, many years ago. It cost me $1.99 Canadian and was probably the best knife I've ever owned. In the picture are mostly Frosts' laminated steel knives, an E. Jönsson, a small carving knife that could have been made by any of the companies, and the knife with guards is a "Boy Scout" knife. In Scandinavia only little boys carry knives with guards, real men need no guards
The Frosts knife with the green/black handle is readily available here in the USA and probably has one of the best fitting handles of any factory or custom knife I've ever owned. All of the Fenno-Scandic
countries have long traditions of making super high quality knives. Some of the knives from the best knife makers in Norway, Sweden, or Denmark can cost hundreds of dollars, but everyone can afford a Mora!
Replies:
Reply author: Ken
Replied on: 01/08/2006 08:33:19 AM
Frosts and KJ Erickson (Erickson recently changed names and is now Mora) are the two large knife makers in Mora Sweden and right down the road from each other. Both make a huge number of different types and models of knifes (Hunting, fishing, kitchen, utility, etc) but the Mora type knife is the most common and if you were to go to a farm in Sweden you would find them everywhere you looked from the floor of the tractor to the junk drawer in the kitchen. Wonderful knifes and impossible to beat for the price. I have been using them as a hunting knife and utility knife for a number of years and liked them so much I started to sell them. I only have the Erickson knifes for sale as I like them myself just a little better.
Pics http://www.kebcollc.com/viewimages.asp?gid=259
Description (scroll down about half way) http://www.kebcollc.com/dept.asp?did=0
Reply author: Umimmak Torulleq
Replied on: 01/08/2006 09:32:59 AM
Hello Galen (and others).

Yes, you are right. The Nordic countries have long and proud traditions for making knives of a high quality and a low price. For hunting I though prefere the american Buck Knives. Nothing can beat them! But Mora, EKA and Fiskars along with some samic knives are surely great. In north Norway and Finland the soldiers usually carry samic knives as a part of their equipment an consider them to be indispensable. In the Winter War in Finland they saw a lot of use too, when the finns ran out of ammonition (I have an eyewitness describtion)!

By the way, swedish foreign secretary Anna Lindh got murdered about 2 years ago by a lunatic and he used a Frosts knife from Mora!

All the best from Umimmak Torulleq

Reply author: kriggevaer
Replied on: 01/08/2006 11:32:58 AM
Hej Ken and Umimmak! Ken, I've been eyeing your knives for quite a while now and should just give you a call and order up your sampler. I like the Frosts and other Mora type knives and have a bunch of them and a few more wouldn't hurt
I also have some real expensive Finn and Norwegian knives and you know what? I seldom even get them out of the box! I am afraid to use them, they are too pretty
But, like Ken wrote about Sweden, I've got Mora knives scattered all over the place. They will take and hold an edge like no other steel I've used. And, if you lose one, it is not a critical event. Poor Anna!!
Not very good public relations for the Frosts company!
Reply author: jim in Oregon
Replied on: 01/13/2006 4:25:54 PM
Krigg..
Sportsman's Guide currently has Swedish Mora mil knives for sale for 9.97 each..I bought ten of them as they make good gifts for young men( or gals) for their first outdoor nife..excellent quality and sharp carbon steel.They look like the first one in your picture but witha nylon mil style sheath..
As with all my carbon steel blades, I blued the blades with Oxpho Blue so they never rust..
Do a search on Sportsman Guide site useing swedish knife..jim
Replied on: 01/13/2006 7:19:26 PM
Hi Jim,
Yup, Sportamans Guide is where I buy mine. And, I do like you do and have given a whole bunch of these knives out to youngsters for the their first hunting season, girls and boys. You can't beat the price and if they happen to lose them, it is not a major disaster. Good steel, good design - a great everyday knife.
Reply author: MPE
Replied on: 01/14/2006 2:08:15 PM
The Mora knives are great. I bought one for each of my sons, myself and my Dad for our first camping trip together. I gave them each a Mora #22 in carbon steel. I like the classic wood handle and carbon steel. Good solid working knives that are REALLY sharp. I purchased mine from: http://www.ragweedforge.com/SwedishKnifeCatalog.html

They have a lot of great Scan. knives. Make sure you go to the bottom of the page for some other links.

Now that I have a new son (1 y/o now), I need to order another one!

Take care,

Mike
Reply author: MD
Replied on: 01/17/2006 3:20:31 PM
Yeah when we were kids we all had them in the village I was in on the West Coast.

You could throw 'em too and they'd stick in a tree nine times out of ten.
Reply author: Pettson
Replied on: 06/24/2006 12:27:00 AM
Don't know how I missed this great thread the first time around...
Anyway, I really like the traditional scandinavian styling of the Mora knives. Pure business, and cheap enough that you can afford to lose them. Something that happens to me with knives fairly often. It's just a little bit sad that they've gone a little to much plastic these days. Decent steel in them still though.

There are still a couple of small enterprises that make nice plain hunting and outdoor knives, like Karesuando-Kniven. Our norwegian and finnish brothers also have some good offerings. Helle and Brusletto in Norway, and Martiini and Järvenpää in Finland to name a few. Brusletto used to have really crappy steel, but it seems to me they have improved a bit in recent years.

There are also many many custom knife smiths that maintain the various traditional knife styles, but they are usually not cheap. And as much as I like a beautiful knife, I don't think I could bear to carry a $200+ knife into the woods...

Here are some favourites;

Download Attachment:
59.76 KB

Vintage Mora knives...

Download Attachment:
72 KB

And two vintage handmade knives in similar style. The right one belonged to my grandmother and the left one belonged to my grandfather. The latter is these days mainly carried with the sunday attire...

Download Attachment:
52.09 KB

Working knives from Finland, Martiini, Järvenpää and Paja.

Download Attachment:
25.7 KB

And a curio item. Bahco used to make this hunting knife. At the time Bahco was also the producer of the bayonet for the AK4, and also the slightly rare army fighting knife. So they released this hunting/utility knie in the same styl as the former two. The military style sheath has a sharpening stone on the back side.

Pettson

Replied on: 06/26/2006 6:48:50 PM
Hej Pettson,

When I get back home, I'll update with pictures of some new Swedish knives I've gotten since I posted the first time. As you noted, there are some incredible knives being made by master knifesmiths in Scandinavia and eventually I will add one or two from those craftsman.
© 2000-2006 Gunboards

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Pettson,
Those are some really nice knives. I've got some new ones and the old ones are in these pictures too. Still haven't got one of the handmade custom knives from one of the big name knifesmiths, but someday. I have a friend who collects Norwegian "Sunday" knives and will add one or two of them to the collection. There are some very good Danish knifesmiths also. A lot of things to collect in the future.:D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Aah yes, I like #2 and #3 from left. Plain and classic outdoor knives. The worn little feller on the far right I like also. :)

Denmark has some good knifesmiths! One that immediately comes to mind is bladesmith Paul Strande. I don't think he has a website, but some of his blades can be found at webshops selling knife materials.

Here are some of them;
http://www.nordellknives.com/eng/eng_bs.htm

I particulary like the small hunting blades with blue and nickel finish;
http://www.nordellknives.com/images/bs_04.jpg

Pettson

1 - 4 of 4 Posts