Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
That is way cool! I like the ring it makes when being fired. Do your projectiles grip the rifiling? The knee mortar has always been one of my favorites! :)

·
Registered
477 Posts
That is definitely awesome. Especially the location you are at. I envy you. Some outstanding scenery there. Can almost hear the thundering hoof beats of John Wayne riding from over the horizon....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The round does grip the rifling. The next batch we are thinking of thinning the base just a little to see if it will expand just a little bit more.
When experimenting with loads, I tossed one 270 yards. It went into a ditch, for a perfect defilade shot! The problem is trying to recover the projectiles after firing. Some searching was required after the long shot.
The barrel does give a very distinctive "ring" when fired. It is even evident when thumping the barrel with your finger.
Although I am not a native (Tennessee Volunteer by birth and heart), Utah is a beautiful state. Forest Service land is readily accessible for firing "unusual" things.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
What kind of propellant are you using and how much? Also, Im curious - what is that you're dumping out of the barrel after each shot?
Utah? Hmmm... Any elevators there?

Could you install some kind of beeper device in the shell to help in locating it?

·
Registered
276 Posts
Most Neat!!
I need one of those!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of propellant are you using and how much? Also, Im curious - what is that you're dumping out of the barrel after each shot?
Utah? Hmmm... Any elevators there?

Could you install some kind of beeper device in the shell to help in locating it?
I am dumping the used cutdown shotgun shell.
PM or email me for info on loads.

Elevators? We do actually have a few tall buildings! It is snowing today, so come out for some skiing.

·
Platinum Bullet member
19,007 Posts
Elevators? We do actually have a few tall buildings! It is snowing today, so come out for some skiing.
Snow? Never mind - snow is probably the only thing I hate worse than Commiefornia! ;) I don't like cold weather at all & snow looks fine in photos - where it belongs!

Is your PM thingy activated?

·
Registered
7,973 Posts
Lance that is very cool indeed. I think you need some form of transmitter in the projectile so they will be easier to find. 270 yards on a reduced load is a long way off. Maybe you can get some pictures of a projectile if flight.

·
Gold Bullet member
3,255 Posts
I wish I had the money to get my hands on NFA goodies. Thanks for the video! It looks like fun!

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Hey Lance,
I found the video, I am watching in at one frame every three seconds due to my very slow connection (the last twelve miles of my connection is via Pony Express). It is really great, but, you should be in uniform, I hope you saved a Jap uniform, because if you are going to fire it while wearing a US uniform, you need to fire it from your knee (good thing you are using low pressure loads). I have a suggestion as to how to find where your projectiles land, put a charge in them, the crater should help locat the point of impact.
Best wihses
Gus

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Hey Lance,
I finally got the clip loaded, Maggie says to get you d--n fingers out of the tube. Really great, but now I am going to have to watch all your videos, that should tak a couple of days... No, after waiting 15 minutes, I see that you only have the one video, what's with that?
Best wishes
Gus

·
Registered
366 Posts
I know this is a really old thread and apologize in advance for reviving it.

I would like to build s replica "knee mortar", but a muzzle loading version, so it's not a DD.

Where can I find some load info and the replica projectiles that Lance is using?

Thanks in advance.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts