Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Your info is wrong. A knee mortar that is unregistered can be destroyed by drilling a bore size hole in it. Then once it is destroyed you can file a form one and reactivate it when approved. It doesn't have to be a papered dewat or any other older style registered deactivated unit. You would be making a new firearm. Only machine guns can't be made with a form one. Unless it was papered before 5/19/86. Everything else is fair game.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Kudos to two recent commenters who knew what they were talking about. A "Dewat" is a "deactivated war trophy" that has been made inoperable but is still treated as an NFA (National Firearms Act) firearm that must be registered. Last I knew (but that was 20 years ago, yikes!) transfers of registered dewats were free of transfer tax. But a DD (Destructive Device) like the mortar being described, would be classified as "destroyed" if the tube had a horizontal hole in the high-pressure part of the barrel equal in diameter to the bore of the tube and other sundry parts were destroyed. It would not be subject to the NFA. To make a destroyed NFA firearm operable one would indeed have to file an NFA form 1 to make and register the DD. Forms 1 have long since not been accepted from the public to make full auto weapons. Last I knew forms 1 were still being accepted for the manufacture of silencers and "Any Other Weapons" (shot pistol, short barrel rifle, etc.). Whether still being accepted for DDs I don't know, but would be surprised to learn it was still possible for a member of the public to make and register a DD. Kirwin [i nGaeilge Ó Ciardhubháin] (ps: I have some really stunning film clips from a Knob Creek shoot from 20 years ago. Imagine a privately owned and registered quad .30 mounted on a flatbed truck going full rock and roll!)

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
you can still make and register a destructive device on a form 1, if your state allows it. it's MGs you can't,

only way you can own a MG, if your state allows it, is by buying one made before 86 and registern pay the transfer tax on a form 4.

but you have to dig deeeeeeeeeeeeeep in your wallet they ain't going to be in any sense of the word reasonable prices

long ago I toyed with the idea of registering and paying 200 bucks to make my demilled RPG-7 operationally..........but then common sense stepped in, where in the hell am I going to get training(non-explosive) rockets for it? and where am I going to shoot it?

so it's in my den hanging on the wall :)

·
Platinum Bullet Member
59,095 Posts
please make sure the person welding up the hole , if it is done that way, is a good qualified welder and uses the proper techniques, rods etc,

if it is just welded up, as in someone runs to harbor freight and grabs a stick welder and random rods,, then there is potential for it to blow out, if actually fired, and that would not be good for the shooter or those around,

if you just want it to look right, then sleeve it, patch up the hole with fiberglass etc, and paint\color it to match the rest ,
and leave it demilled,

think of it as the Japanese Knee Mortar equivalent of a DP Enfield,

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
that's why I like my RPG-7, you can't tell it's been demilled..........the heat shield covers the hole and the firing pin was removed and a steel rod was inserted through the firing pin hole and welded :)

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Your info is wrong. A knee mortar that is unregistered can be destroyed by drilling a bore size hole in it. Then once it is destroyed you can file a form one and reactivate it when approved. It doesn't have to be a papered dewat or any other older style registered deactivated unit. You would be making a new firearm. Only machine guns can't be made with a form one. Unless it was papered before 5/19/86. Everything else is fair game.
I never said you can't register a DD. I said that it is not legal to register an intact DD. Intact it is contraband and not legal so merely filing paperwork doesn't make it legal. It would indeed need to be properly demilled and that gets into the other legal question of who does the demil and are they guilty of a felony possessing an unregistered NFA firearm when they do it? For some this is an important question. For others it probably makes no difference.

I also never said it has to be a papered DeWaT to be legal to register. What I said was that you cannot reactivate a chopped up part set. Reactivation is a legal term in reference to the process of registration. If you are taking a demil and creating a new firearm you are either manufacturing if you have the right FFL and pay the SOT or you are making if you don't have the FFL and are using a form 1 to register. What you have when it is properly registered is as you pointed out a New Made firearm. It is not reactivated.

Perhaps this is all nitpicking to you but when you do this sort of thing for a living you come to learn it has great significance. The terms have actual and fairly precise meanings.

Frank

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
" US firearms regs and you can neither reactivate nor rewat a non registered gun." Your exact words as stated. If you find a "destroyed" which would be not registered or dewatted DD piece. You can via a form one make it live. I'm not trying to split hairs. Just trying to state facts.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You're pretty much saying what I did. So here one more time , Yes, you can form one MAKE a new NFA DD firearm. You cannot reactivate or rewat a non registered DD. Pretty simple, Pretty clear and what I said before, only with less words. Been in the business a long time doing reactivations and rewats as well as transfers and other stuff....

Frank

·
Registered
334 Posts
Thanks everyone for the clarification. Oddly enough, once in a blue moon, someone will walk in with one at a show. It is good to know what they need to do.

I can remember the first one that I saw at the Great Western out in California. When I looked down the tube, I was surprised to see that it was rifled! I just thought they would have been smoothbore. Alas, I blurted out the thought verbally and got the dunce look from everyone at the table.

·
Registered
8,572 Posts
Type 10 are smooth bore. They are an easy repair if they have a round hole in them. I for one am not a fan of slotting them to destroy the mortar. It makes them very difficult to repair especially the Type 89.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts