Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son (pre-teen) has decided that for Christmas he would like to build a black powder pistol. What are the best kits out there that a youth could (with adult supervision and control of the weapon) reasonably be expected to build and then safely shoot? What price range am I looking at? Are there any specialized tools I would need to purchase?

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,180 Posts
From what I've read in customer comments, the Pedersoli kits are better quality; some of the Traditions are OK, yet others, people complain about improper wood inletting & fit issues.

Take a look at the kits at Midway, Cabelas, and also Dixie.

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
As far as "production" type kits are concerned. Pedorsoli kits are hard to beat, albiet a little pricey.
Depending on ignition, flint or cap, expect to pay between $230.00- $300.00 +, depending on the type of pistol you are looking for.
Dixie Gun Works has a good selection of Pedorsoli kits, and are pretty easy to assemble. As a side note, I highly recommend Homer Danglers stains and browning solutions.
Wendell

·
Platinum Bullet member
20,180 Posts
View attachment 604546 Common tools in a woodworking shop should suffice: bench vise with wooden or padded jaws, a few wood chisels are helpful - my favorite & most useful chisel was made from a very small flat blade screwdriver & was indispensable for cleaning up wood at the bottom of irregular wood cut outs, fine lock & trigger plate fitting & some inlays. Some shoe polish is great for determining high spots when fitting brasswork & bedding barrels.

Precision scrapers are great for removing wavy surfaces. A freshly scored & snapped piece of window glass provides the best scraper edge money can buy.
Band-Aids are needed if you don't watch your fingers ...

Avoid Dremel or power tools. In young & inexperienced hands, too much wood can be removed too quickly. View attachment 604533

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Many thanks to all who offered advice, now to find the right piece before Christmas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts