Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
G'day folks,

I'm excited! Really excited!

I finalised the Long Tom and P14 today, so they'll be coming home soon.

The gentleman who sold them to me is aware that my interest is in preserving and upholding the history of these rifles, and he asked me if I was interested in going back further than the Lee-Metford. As I said yes, we struck a deal for the following rifles. He is keen to see them go to a collector not someone who wants to make a buck or use them stupidly.

My tenuous connection with this forum is that they show the progression of technology that resulted in the Lee-Enfield.

They are;
1) an early trade musket (a trade version of the Tower Pattern)
2) Three-band Enfield - 1853 Pattern
3) Snider-Enfield, breech-loading conversion of the 1853 Pattern Enfield. This one has Indian characters
4) Martini Henry

He also threw in an action made by a rare and exclusive gunmaker of the highest possible repute!

I'd appreciate any info on these rifles. Comments, thoughts welcome.

Cheers,
Matt

·
Registered
39 Posts
I bet volunteers will be queueing up to fire a Martini made in the reign of ^R in the year 1916 :D

All the rest look super, you can colour me green with envy.

*edited to add* Are you planning on shootig the real M-H? I love mine, even if loading and cleaning are both fairly involved processes :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
He also threw in an action made by a rare and exclusive gunmaker of the highest possible repute!
So that would be the Martini action in the last photo ?
Gunna have a sporter custom built on it are we ? It being such a finely made action and all.
I'd give my first born for the 3 band Enfield. My first born is now 26, female, employed, blond, races go-karts and shoots, just in case your interested Matt.
Nice finds.
PS Chamber your sporter for rubber bands if you use that action.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My only worry...

is it's money you could be spending on Enfields.

Otherwise, it's good to see someone with a worse addiction than me.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Matt, you gotta be shittin' me!!!! No wonder you were so keen to get away this arvo.
Mate, I kid ya not! I had no idea, I was just aware that it was 3 o'clock and I didn't want to keep him waiting as I'd arranged to make the last payment on the Long Tom and P14. He dropped it on me then!

I also thought it'd be better to leave when I did so you could let our mate know about what we were discussing as I left.

Woftam, if she was a freckled redhead I might have taken you up on the offer!

Lithy, I'm too far gone to be saved from the insanity!

Chargerclip, I'm addicted all right! I don't know if there is hope for me now!

Cheers,
Matt

1 - 8 of 8 Posts