Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased an air compressor to use to clean some of those hard to to get places. I bought a moisture trap to make sure that I moisture does not get in the line but I am still worried about it. Does anyone else use an air compressor? Doi have anything to worry about?

·
Diamond Member
1,673 Posts
One option is to pressure up the tank, then let it cool overnight. This will allow the moisture to condense and you can drain it off using the bleeder. This way you can use the air in the tank for your cleaning, if it has enough capacity.

regards
badger

·
Silver Bullet member
495 Posts
The "moisture trap" or water seperator should be good enough for the average user, unless you plan on painting. Body shops that paint automobiles use in-line driers to get all the moisture out. You don't want any moisture when spraying paint. The water seperator will get the big water out that is traveling in the line.

·
Gold Bullet member
4,946 Posts
Never need a mositure trap because if you are smart you only use the compressed air during the cleaning phase of working on a Milsurp. After that should come the oiling and assembly where if there is any moisture imparted on it during cleaning that is taken care of. There is one thing that should be done to the compressor tank and that is taking the plug out of the bottom of it and replacing it with a valve which will blow down the moisture that accumulates in the tank and insures it lasts a good long while.

If you were painting or used the compressor to fill tires for a race car then you should have a trap and filter system on it. Air in race tires needs to be dry going in because if it has moisture it will expand and pressure build at a completely different rate than needed dry air. The is why some racers use gases like nitrogen which is by nature dry but then you got to worry if the expansion rate and pressure build when the tire comes up to temperature is what you are looking for in the tire. Street tires frankly aren't that picky because of the constant cycles they go through and most people don't even feel a dead flat tire till it just flat stops them, pardon the pun. Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.