Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 145 Posts

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, yesterday I went on an extreme mountain hunt in extreme weather conditions for a cat. Carried a Morrocan Police Contract 98 Mauser Carbine in 30-06 with 17&1/2 barrel. Snowing and Minus 2 degrees F, cut track at 9000 ft, let two Walkers out at 10 AM, and we plunged down canyon, cat treed after 30 min, took us 45 min to get there thru 5 in snow, boulders and serious tree blowdowns all at 45 degree slope ( Me in slippery muckboots) Big ole tom 25 feet up, presenting only head shot, laying on a limb, dog handler tied up dogs and I put 150 grain thru branch into chest and punctured heart and lungs. DOA, we could only go downhill to get out of steep canyon, 5 hours later and 4 miles we finally hit an access road, dog handler carried 150lb cat on his shoulders thru roughest terrain I ever encountered ( 2 y/o tornado area with massive blowdowns everywhere) I honestly was questioning whether I would make it out alive. First totally sweated, then everything froze, gloves, fingers etc, this cat may go Boone and Crocket, 5 inch paws, huge head, 6 years old. Trusty dependable 98 Mauser did it. Best regards from Montana Teritory Foxman;)

· Registered
1,462 Posts
I tried for years to call and shoot a mountain lion in AZ. Called them several times, had them snuck up behind me, show themselves for a split second, or scream at me from close by, but I never got a shot at them. Congrats, and show us some photos!

· Registered
336 Posts
so you went for a walk in the cold and shot a cat in a tree... your now a big old montana man... personally i only respect people who hunt for meat and what not, if some how treeing a cat with dogs, and then shooting it, makes you feel "worthy" well, so be it... LET the "*** FLY... !!!!!!!!!!!

· Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Reply to Hannah

If you think this was a cakewalk, you are wrong. I plan to make a full mount and post in my living room. I will eat the meat( cat is the other white meat). I will shoot only one in my life as I have only killed one bear. I honor and respect the animal, and no I don't have a big head about this, this was extreme fair chase, and I hunted 10 days is sub zero cold and snow. No apologies here, thank you. Foxman:cool:

· Registered
4,719 Posts
that is a big friggin cat for sure! to save face ;) i think i would have to eat it after going through that much just to trek out. shows some photos.

and btw those Walkers are a heck of a hunting dog as many a '**** hunters will agree. very few people eat the little bandits but there hides are super nice!

· Banned
7,260 Posts
so you went for a walk in the cold and shot a cat in a tree... your now a big old montana man... personally i only respect people who hunt for meat and what not, if some how treeing a cat with dogs, and then shooting it, makes you feel "worthy" well, so be it... LET the "*** FLY... !!!!!!!!!!!
+1.

· Registered
373 Posts
+2

· Diamond Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
Although the hike itself sounded pretty bad, using dogs in a hunt in my opinion basically makes it like visiting Food Lion, you might not always find what you want right away there. but in the end your coming out with something.

Real hunting you dont come back with something every time, thats the fun of it.

So while I think its interesting that he braved a mountain region in a snow storm, I dont really consider shooting a cat in a tree hunting either...

· Silver Bullet Member
671 Posts
Cat Hunt

-1. I live in a state where a Peta sponsored ballot measure a number of years ago has caused the cougar and bear populations to spiral out of control. Deer and elk have suffered as a result. Cougars are snatching house pets not to far from where I live. What's next? School children! Good job foxmanmt. Sounds like a fair and honest hunt to me. Looking forward to the photos.

Ski

· Diamond Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
-1. I live in a state where a Peta sponsored ballot measure a number of years ago has caused the cougar and bear populations to spiral out of control. Deer and elk have suffered as a result. Cougars are snatching house pets not to far from where I live. What's next? School children! Good job foxmanmt. Sounds like a fair and honest hunt to me. Looking forward to the photos.

Ski
Maybe we will get lucky and the future administration will decide to have a picnic in your mountains.

ok, that was wrong. but I couldnt help it

· Platinum Bullet Member
697 Posts
Outstanding story and hunt. Really should post pictures.

These other guys must do it naked with a stick & rock. If you don't do it their way, it ain't the right kind of hunting. Everyone knows that it aint really hunting with scents, decoys, bait, camoflauge, bows or guns, tree stands or blind, optics, game cameras, etc.

Humans have been hunting with dogs for thousands of years. GET OVER IT!

· Registered
4,719 Posts
next people will be saying that we cannot shoot the wolves that are mauling/stealing the livestock up here. well i guess the department of natural resources finally acknowledge that there is double the population of wolves that they first thought and may offer a controlled hunt for them. i'll be on the list for a license!

has anyone personally seen what they do to beef cattle in a slaughter house?
at least the cat had time to get away.

· Banned
1,456 Posts
has anyone personally seen what they do to beef cattle in a slaughter house?
at least the cat had time to get away.

I always get a kick out of people that think hunting "brutalizes" the hunter. Sure you kill an animal a couple of times a year but the person eating burger king everyday is paying for someone else to kill hundreds of animals a week. I would think that to be a more brutalizing experience in everyway. And I know quite few "vegetarians" that will eat fish or chicken so who are they kidding.
I disagree with real Vegans but I'll respect them for living what they believe.

· Diamond Bullet Member
8,879 Posts
I have no problem with the cat being killed, hell find another and shoot it to.

Its the fact that dogs were used to find it.

Thats like on an easter egg hunt but asking the person who put them out to help you.
Not much skill to it, the dogs do the work. You just follow and shoot.

Real hunting in my opinion relies on the HUNTERS skills, not a dogs.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.