Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Excellent pictures of the super rare Kiangnan Kuaili rifle! Thanks for sharing. "Firearms" says only 11,608 produced. Will it chamber .303 British? Woodin did an article for IAA journal in the summer of 2000 about the rifle and cartridge and it looks similar to .303. What is the state of scholarship on this rifle and cartridge?

·
Administrator
9,434 Posts
The 7.62x55R cartridge was inspired by both the original 8x53R M90 Austrian and the 7.62x54R M91 Russian cartridges...and possibly the Nagant 8mm M1890 experiments.
From info gathered on some early posts on GB,
The Kuaili was developed and built at Kiangnan arsenal as a "Chinese Initiative" but later disapproved of by the young Emperor of the 1890s...who was under the control of the "Old Buddha" ( the Dowager Empress ).
The new made guns were ordered destroyed...how many survived is ?????.

They possibly could chamber and fire regular
7.62x54R...but Not .303 British (difference in head to shoulder distance...7.62 shorter.).

A suitable area for Research...what does China's
HISTORY OF ORDNANCE have to say about this rifle??? Ref. Bin She for further info.

Doc AV.

·
Registered
400 Posts
That is neat. First one I've seen. I hadn't even heard of 7.62X55R. Where can I read more about it?
Page 26 and 27 of July/August 2000 issue of International Ammunition Association Journal.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Amazing and rare rifle! I've only seen the pictures from Woodin's article and figured that might be the only example!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just came across this thread after buying a chinese 1890, does anyone know anything about the enblock clip? Will a regular m95 clip work?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts