Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

There has been a lot of talk about the Khyber pass specials floating around these forums lately and I found this article that might be of interest.

I wouldn't want to shoot anything of theirs but I would certainly like to see what’s kicking around their shops.
Imagine the rifles and parts that go through these peoples hands, like a collector’s wet dream. I believe home style gunsmithing and nasty knock offs is still big bossiness there to this day.

If any one has any pics or stories about this or the weapons shops in the Afghanistan bazaars post them!!!.

cheers all,
Lachy.

·
Platinum Bullet Member
4,612 Posts
That appears to be an excellent site. It's getting bookmarked for some serious perusal when I get some time.

There are a great many interesting and historic pieces coming from the region thanks to the long British presence on the old northwest frontier of the Raj. The problem is just as that website states...there's a big market and it's being filled, with both old and new pieces.

The problem gets to be telling one from the other as the fakers get better at it.

Hope nobody in A-stan has a computer... ;)

·
Registered
6,777 Posts
Look, here's provenance (of a sort) for my "Khyber Pass Special":
"A special Darra version of Mauser *** Enfield has been built in the hills. It has the receiver and two-piece stock of the Lee Enfield, but the barrel and front band, with bayonet stud, are finished like the short M1924 Mausers. Caliber is almost invariably .303, but 8 mm is also made."

Now I know what the front sight blade should be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts