Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you all will recall, when we left our intrepid hero he was in possession of a Savage No.4 with a predilection for throwing its projectiles sideways.

WELL. I decided to re-crown the muzzle and thoroughly chemically clean the bore. After an overnight soak in copper residue removing solvent, lots of gunk and copper salts emerged...I carefully re-crowned the muzzle, and now it at least makes round holes a couple of inches apart. WITH THE RIGHT AMMO. Remington 180 gr. RN's work well...lots of bearing surface. Boattail ammo, however, still goes 90 degrees sideways...reliably. And, into the same point of impact and with the same kind of group. Weird.

It's also shooting about 2 feet high at 100 yds, so I'm going to need the very highest front sight blade. If any of you have an extra, please PM me as I can use it.

The moral of this story? If you're looking for a rifle to shoot, be VERY careful when looking at a rifle with a 2-groove barrel. If you look down the bore, you'll see how pathetically little guidance surface those two grooves give! Make sure the bore is excellent and the muzzle unworn, original, and undamaged. I remember that tests were done prior to adoption of the 2 groove bores, both for US and UK use, that concluded that they were equally accurate to the 5 groove, but MY conclusion is that while that MAY be the case with a new barrel, it's certainly NOT the case where there is wear present.

·
Banned
18,170 Posts
Do you have the micrometer rear sight or the "L flip sight?
If you have the flip it is set for 300yds with 174 GR ball ammo, you might think about getting a mike rear sight so you can at least dial in 100 yds & then tweak the frontsight?

Probably worth it now the holes are round LOL.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My rifle has the 300/600 "flip" sight; original to the piece and methinks correct for '43 production. I'm not averse to a micro, if I could find a "S" marked...or are others correct?
Do you have the micrometer rear sight or the "L flip sight?
If you have the flip it is set for 300yds with 174 GR ball ammo, you might think about getting a mike rear sight so you can at least dial in 100 yds & then tweak the frontsight?

Probably worth it now the holes are round LOL.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Remember that a great number of No.4s went through FTR and came out with the Mk.1 backsight as a retro-fit so having one on your rifle is not a sin. The backsights are easily interchanged so that if you wish to interchange, the task is easy (if you have nimble fingers and decent tools). Change away and restore when you like. ed

·
Gold Bullet member
2,624 Posts
Didn't Savage and Long Branch exchange parts? If so, there is a guy on eBay right now, who has several C MK 3's.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.