Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Kentucky vs. Pennsylvania, and the right to claim "the Long Rifle" - book advice?

This is great!!!

http://www.kyclr.com/history.php

I wish we still had more governors with a sense of grace, wit, propriety and historical awareness as these two governors displayed.

I would love to spend a day watching this competition... or better yet, competing! Hmmm... might have to work this into a future family trip to Pennsylvania.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
American Long Rifle began in Lancaster Pennsylvania. Hence, Pennsylvania rifle is more appropriate and accurate (historically, that is.)
The rifle became the "Kentucky" rifle because of the song lyrics of Kentucky Hunters, about the Battle of New Orleans in 1815.

Personally, I just call 'em "Pennsyltucky" rifles.:laugh:

·
Registered
15,171 Posts
When this period of history occurred "Pennsylvania" (the area, not the commonwealth of) was way bigger & included Kentucky, which didn't exist at the time. Hence the slang term "Pensyltucky."

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
While , perhaps a little later in history, Not much, though.

We must not forget the "rifle guns" made in Tennessee, North Carolina, Ohio, Maryland. They too, contributed, and copied, from the concept of a KY./ PA. rifle.

Let's not forget Virginia.

Wendell

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
When this period of history occurred "Pennsylvania" (the area, not the commonwealth of) was way bigger & included Kentucky, which didn't exist at the time. Hence the slang term "Pensyltucky."
I believe Virginia held title to most of Kaintukee, rather than PA.

Wendell

·
Gold Bullet member
11,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good book on the Kentucky/Penna long rifle? I see some used copies of the work by Kauffman. Ideally, I'd like something that talks about the usage, as well as history of makers, etc.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,058 Posts
Does anyone have a suggestion for a good book on the Kentucky/Penna long rifle? I see some used copies of the work by Kauffman. Ideally, I'd like something that talks about the usage, as well as history of makers, etc.
I have a number of the classic and definitive books on the Pennsylvania and Kentucky long rifles and I have listed them for sale in my book ads in the past. I have not run that particular ad for close to two years if I'm not mistaken, so I'm not sure if it will show up in a forum search of my past postings.

If I'm not breaking the rules, I'll post a link to that ad. The ad has photos and a link to a You Tube video of the books.

Of course I'd love to sell the books, but even if you don't buy them you will benefit from the information. ;)

·
8,105 Posts
Richard, not sure if you would be allowed to post a link to your ad in the "WTS" Forum, that would be up to this forum's moderator, check the "Rules" in the "stickies" at the top. But if you find it in the WTS forum's archives and you still have some of the books and still want to sell them, you could update it or bump it back to the top of the WTS forum, inform us that you have done so - no direct link needed, just the info that you have done it - and everyone could see it and you might make a sale. I'm sure that bones92 would be appreciative as would I and, I'm sure, others.

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Lancaster, PA ain't in Virginny or Kentucky... Just sayin.

Some recent books of interest might include:

Øyvind Flatnes, From Musket to Metallic Cartridge (Ramsbury, UK: Crowood Press, 2013)
Alexander Rose, American Rifle: A Biography (NY: Delacorte Press)

"The Hunters of Kentucky" 1821:
But Jackson he was side awake,
And was not scar'd at trifles,
For well he knew what aim we take,
With our Kentucky rifles.

There are southern long rifles too, 'tis true. And fine arms they are. But the origins of the American rifle are German immigrant gun makers in Lancaster, PA.

·
Gold Bullet member
12,058 Posts
Richard, not sure if you would be allowed to post a link to your ad in the "WTS" Forum, that would be up to this forum's moderator, check the "Rules" in the "stickies" at the top. But if you find it in the WTS forum's archives and you still have some of the books and still want to sell them, you could update it or bump it back to the top of the WTS forum, inform us that you have done so - no direct link needed, just the info that you have done it - and everyone could see it and you might make a sale. I'm sure that bones92 would be appreciative as would I and, I'm sure, others.
TP:

I'll try to figure-out how to update the ad or somehow incorporate those books in a new ad without breaking the rules.

I'd like to help those interested and of course I'd love to sell more books, but I wasn't sure if anyone would object so that's why I didn't just post the link. :)

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
There is a book (out of print I think) "Thoughts on the Kentucky Rifle" by George Shumway.

The Log Cabin Shop, and Dixie Gun Works, has a rather extensive library on the subject.

Good Luck,
Wendell

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.