Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im looking to buy a Kentucky rifle. It says JUKAR SPAIN on it. It is 45 cal. and the guy says it has never been fired, is in excellent shape.
He is asking 200 bucks. Is it worth it ?

THANKS

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW. Thanks, Im glad i did not get it. Where can i find one thats not to much money ?

I dont want to fire it, i want to hang it over the gun safe and the 2nd amendment poster.

·
Banned
5,142 Posts
sorry i thought you were going to use it, if you want to hang it ok. their are so many that are better for hunting or shooting at a little more money or good used rifles even the same or less money, that have warranty,s on their parts. eastbank.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,182 Posts
JUKAR, lowest of the low, but for just $200.00, your not going to get much in the way of a quality long rifle. You might for $300 to $400, thou that is alot for something you don't intend to shoot. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, since i have to pay 3-4 hundred for a decent rifle, i will have to change my mind and shoot it once in awhile. Mucho smoke, sounds like fun. WHOOSH

What do some of you recommend in a decent rifle ?

·
Banned
5,142 Posts
i like and use thompson center rifles, flint and cap lock and one tc shotgun. my favoerite rifle is a tenn. poor boy flintlock. any of the makers medium to top end rifles will work. cva,tradtions,lyman are only a few amoung meny. good luck.

·
Copper Bullet member
1,182 Posts
Lyman Great Plains rifle would be my first pick. They are very well made, shoot great, and look like a plains rifle of the day.
T/C would be my next pick. Their quality is top of the line, and they stand behind it. Only they are not history correct in the looks department.
CVA, and Traditions are both fine company's, but and they should last a long time, thou their company's don't stand behind them as well as T/C does.
Just look around, you'll find something that trips your trigger.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Im looking at the Kentucky because of the history that it was the rifle that was most commonly used by the colonist in the fight for independence. Thats why it will hang on the wall most of the time.

I dont really know anything about muzzle-loaders. I better start reading.

Thanks for all the advice yall.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I disagree with you Eastbank. I have owned MANY Jukars over the 40 years I have shot BP, & in fact have 3 Jukar rifles & 1 pistol right now. They made black powder guns since 1970 for the US market mostly and many were labeled under the CVA name as well. CVA eventually bought them out Lock, Stock, & Barrel Literally, and the Spanish factory contiinued for quite some time afterward.
There are many that were abused & neglected but I have not seen one yet that I would call junk! Granted the value is not what I would call great, I would pay $200 for an unfired Jukar in a minute, Though most I pick up are considerably less.
They are safe to shoot, IF maintained at all. The ball goes in the direction intended, IF not in the same hole every time, & They are reasonably accurate reproductions.
I would recommend one to anyone on a budget or just starting out because once they start they will want to upgrade to a better gun. Just because we have smokepoles worth 10 times the cost doesn't mean the Jukar is worthless.

·
Banned
5,142 Posts
i did not say useless. i have seen any number of black powder guns cap and flint lock go at gun shows,flea markets and yard sales by top end makers for 200.00 and less. i know where there is a T.C. hawkin cap lock in 45 cal. for 200.00 right now. that being said,i look at service after the sale and how quick you get the service you may need. T.C. service after the sale is just about unbelievable,even for guns that were bought used. i have a friend who fell driving for deer in the rocks and when he fell the butt stock struck a flat rock and so did the upper part of the barrel, it snapped the stock in two at the wrist. a call to tc had a new stock in the mail the next day at no charge(all he had to do was put his metal on the new stock) try that with your jukars made in spain, i know men who wanted to have a extra frizzen and called tc and said theirs would not spark,just to get a extra one free.(thats no right) but it shows the extra mile TC will go to make it right. eastbank.

·
Registered
290 Posts
My first Black Powder firearm was a Jukar 45 cal rifle. Looked like a piece of crap (traded a zippo for it) - I shot it many hundreds of times. Had a lot of fun - kept it super maintained - years later I traded it away. Do I regret getting rid of it - not really. I have a T.C. Hawken 50 cal - in the last 20 years I have shot it about 20 times. Should have just kept the Jukar. WM

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.