Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am brand new to black powder shooting and just purchased a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol. My question is simple (I Hope). How do you remove the barrel for cleaning? The "owners manual" does not tell you but rather gives generic advice. The dealer says he does not know and my email to Pedersoli has not been answered. I found an exploded drawing of a Traditions Kentucky pistol but it is somewhat different than mine. Any help?

·
Gold Bullet member
1,598 Posts
To remove the barrel from a Pedersoli Kentucky percussion pistol is simple enough. Make sure the pistol is unloaded, then pull hammer onto half cock, undo the 2 screws that hold the lock in place and lift away the lock, remove rod from under barrel and undo small screw in brass cup under muzzle and remove, undo the screw on the breech block tang and the barrel will lift away from the woodwork. You can then remove the nipple with a nipple key and the pistol is stripped ready for cleaning. I strip my pistol every time I clean it and scrub the barrel out with hot soapy water followed by hot clean water I then run patches through until the bore looks dry and then run patches through soaked in WD40 to remove any remaining moisture. I use WD40 on the external metal work also, then lube. If you don't want to strip the pistol every time you clean it, I suggest you do it once and coat the underside of the barrel with heavy high temperature grease before re-assembly to prevent moisture getting under the barrel.
ukrifleman

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I am considering a purchase of a Pedersoli flint pistol but, have a couple of questions about it. Looking at the pictures of them I notice that the hammer does not appear to point into the pan when it is fired. Is this correct or does it stay higher and not point into the pan? My flint rifles all point directly into the pan when the hammer is lowered to the fireing position. Also, how deep is the rifleing? Some of these flint pistols need a strong magnifying glass to see the rifleing. If I had access to observe one I would but, am not going to spend the money and find the hammer points out into Jones pasture when fired. That makes for a very unreliable ingition system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.