Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, all! I am new to the site and have been reading your posts and have found many of you are extremely knowledgable and i was hoping that you could help me itdentify my long rifle. From what i can see there are no markings for a date, manufacture, model, anything. Very curios and would appreciate your help, mskentucky. Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
Shotgun
Air gun
Pipe Metal
Antique tool
Shotgun
Antique tool Smoothing plane Plane Jack plane Tool
Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Shotgun
Gun Rifle Firearm Trigger Shotgun
Gun Trigger Shotgun Revolver Wood

·
Gold Bullet Member
6,058 Posts
Hi,

Appears to be a left handed "kit" gun to me. Most likely assembled by someone that wanted a long rifle to shoot.

Nothing about that rifle says "old" that I can see.

Might be a decent shooter but would probably be more at home hanging over the fireplace.

·
Registered
139 Posts
probably 1970's or so. Dixie gunworks had partially inlet stock blanks and you could pick and choose pieces and assemble your own rifle. The parts don't match and the workmanship not too great so I would suspect it is something like that. Does the lock fit tight to the barrel? It looks like it is only partially inlet. If it is not tight to the barrel priming powder can get behind the lock with disastrous results if it touches off.

·
Registered
109 Posts
It does appear to be an assortment of parts someone built into a rifle. Sort of seems strange to me that they used such a modern rear sight on it, with the screws sitting up on top, but I've seen a lot stranger things on muzzleloaders.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It appears to be a model 1873 Springfield rifle, also known as a trapdoor rifle. On top just ahead of the hinge on the breech it should say model 1873, the 3 is sometimes deeply stamped and looks like an 8, but it is still a three. It still has it's slotless screws holding the rear sight, this is good, but the wood has been refinished, there doesn't appear to be any cartouche on the stock on the opposite side of the lock. The metal also appears to have been blued or something as well.

·
Gold Bullet Member and Noted Curmudgeon
100,595 Posts
Looks to be an 1873 that has been refinished, other than that, looks complete and worthwhile. it is an Infantry Rifle., If you will supply the serial number and photo of the TOP of the breech-block, can supply more information.

·
Silver Bullet member
15,733 Posts
"Exactly" is a question that can never be answered!

But it does look like a kit gun.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.