Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last one I promise, only because I've got to go pick up the missus from work and collect my new cleaning rod on the way.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Damn that's a great pic!!!!!
Not very PC though!

·
Registered
151 Posts
woftam,
I do still exist mate !!!
Sparky,
everything getting organized for the october shoot?
Very nice pic wofty,
whats the location?
Looks to tropical for the somme
and yes its the old para here under the new name, couldn't bloody well log in or retrieve password so opened up new account.
Good to be back
Cheers everyone NED

·
Registered
151 Posts
Welcome back.... :)

Hows things in the west?
Good mate except for the bloody flu.
Getting reday for the Queens in a couple of weeks. Entering both classes of service rifle this year just to be greedy;)
Then the innaugral WA state teams event I have organized for the 13-14th October. Got 45 confirmed shooters in teams of 5 so far so should be a great weekend!!!
How are you going?
Cheers
NED

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ned,

Still fighting to confirm the final 3. Hard to get guys to commit to it. I'm sure as the date approaches I'll get the numbers!!
Old and yong Jim's are interested but need a nudge if you speak to them!
Personally I can't wait!!!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sorry to take a while to get back to this thread - things happen:mad:. And I still haven't got my new cleaning rod:mad:.
Anyway back to the pic.
It comes from a fascinating book called -

This is built around a whole host of panoramic photo's taken by the Royal Engineers covering the entire Western Front for the whole war. Comes with a CD containing a truckload more photo's.
Contains some of the best photo's I've seen - bar none.
The photo I posted is one of two, the other shows the sniper and 2 rifles.
The caption reads -
A sniper of the Honourable Artillary Company in his lair in the wheat fields in front of Hooge. The left picture shows him at work, using two rifles. One (or perhaps both) is fitted with a telescopic sight. In the right photo the days tally is marked in spent cartridges and chargers. It reads III Huns - three, not one hundred and eleven. 3 June 1915
Hands up all those who thought he'd shot one hundred and eleven of the dastardly Hun:eek:.

Gudday Ned.
Welcome back. New name, new pic same WA attitude I see:D
And for no particular reason.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Thanks woftam,
Shall we tell all what woftam stands for???;)
Mate me being a west aussie you should now know what i am going to ask for, A copy of the CD!!!!:eek:
any chance of more pics form that book?
Just finished reading Hard Jacka, good book and Somme Mud by E.P. Lynch
excellent when you consider it was written soon after the war to end all wars
Cheers
NED:p

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ned,
am about a chapter into Somme Mud - looks like a good read. I'm glad they didn't sanitise it for the reprint - the political incorrectness makes a pleasant change and it was how they thought and acted in that period. Just finished The Grey Battalion by May Tilton - a very interesting read.
CD is a bit problematical - little thing called copy protection.
Sprog, I have no idea what a Maine **** is. I'd call this one a Belfast tabby - as in HMS Belfast.
How's this for an auto loader ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts