Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Posted about what to look for in picking one of these up a few days ago and finally got around to taking some photos of it. Very pleased with the purchase and wanted to share as the stock carving is quite unique. Looks to be unsanded, with a bolt MM but the bolt completely matching and the rifle completely matching. Guy wasn't selling a story and was sure to state repeatedly that he wasn't certain his Dad brought it back. Can anyone tell me what's going on with the sling? I've never seen it tied off like that.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,098 Posts
stock doesn't show any sign of cracking in the wrist, behind the tang. that's a good sign, cuz those white glue stocks are more liable to cracks and separations, than the red glue.

the sling has been tied in a knot cuz the frog is missing.

·
Registered
845 Posts
The sling throgs/froschen/or "stops" are now available as repros ( the originals tended to get torn up ) from lots of places.

Best to use SOMETHING, even if not authentic, or that strapping will take a set, if it hasn't already, and eventually tear and/or shred.

Odd it would be marked as a "souvenir of the English" in French. Wonder if Quebec is involved in its long history.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Had a Navy Luger stock that someone used a wood burner and burned the names from Jim to Glen dated 1936. It hurt the value considerably. I'm not sure on this Kar98 would like to think it's part of the rifles history.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The sling throgs/froschen/or "stops" are now available as repros ( the originals tended to get torn up ) from lots of places.

Best to use SOMETHING, even if not authentic, or that strapping will take a set, if it hasn't already, and eventually tear and/or shred.

Odd it would be marked as a "souvenir of the English" in French. Wonder if Quebec is involved in its long history.
I was curious about that too. I was under the impression it was "from the English". I had a separate thought where in operation dragoon US forces would have been near the promenade Des Anglais very near that day.

·
Registered
845 Posts
"I was curious about that too. I was under the impression it was "from the English". I had a separate thought where in operation dragoon US forces would have been near the promenade Des Anglais very near that day. "

Any of that is possible. What probably is NOT possible if finding out the exact, certain meaning.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Had a Navy Luger stock that someone used a wood burner and burned the names from Jim to Glen dated 1936. It hurt the value considerably. I'm not sure on this Kar98 would like to think it's part of the rifles history.
The bolt is mismatched from the rest of the rifle, but will still affect value anyways....My grandpa had a neighbor who owned an MP44 that his father had brought home....The buttstock had gouged wording into it as well....That of course would be easy to replace in comparison to finding a nice late war Mauser stock.....Still displays well, so hang it on a gun rack and enjoy or take it to the range, Bodes

·
Premium Member
189 Posts
I've never heard the French refer to the British in a shortened form of "anglais" and it's doubtful Angleterre would be shortened to Angla either. So I don't know if that's it. A little research shows there's a town in Estonia called Angla and the country was occupied by the Germans in July of '41. But that's a stretch so who knows. Russians fought the Germans in the area of the townin '44 but I doubt any of De Gaulle's Free French we're along for the ride!

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
Nice rifle. Regardless of the history behind the carving in the stock, still really cool. Im a sucker for rifles like this. I had a yugo capture Kar98k with a post-ww2 side rail scope used in the ‘92-‘95 bosnian war with a fleur de lis carved deeply into the buttstock.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts