Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy New Year to all...
Picked up a 1918 Erfurt Kar 98a out of an estate.Rifle appeared to have just come out of a closet.The rifle is double dated (1920) so it's safe to assume that it has been through a Weimar rebuild.The rifle is all matching except for the firing pin (lined out and not renumbered) and one action screw.It is badly dufflecut.My questions regard the bolt numbering and the fact that the rifle is counterbored.I wasn't aware that the Germans counterbored rifles during the rebuild process,has anyone ever seen a Kar 98a with a counterbore?
The major, nagging, question I have is on the bolt numbering.The bolt has obviously been ground and renumbered.The font looks... well,old and Germanic,and matches the font on a few other parts,but not the font on the reciever,bands and floorplate.The patina of the renumbered area matches that of the rest of the bolt, and the bolt does have the double suffix (though very light)present on the receiver.
It's just that the restamped numbers look... so...fake...
The numbers are very lightly stamped and if not for the other factors mentioned,it would scream BUBBA
Price is certainly not an issue on this one,I don't think the guy knew what he had or cared but I would just like to know if others more knowledgable have seen Weimar rebuilt rifles with similarly renumbered bolts.
Many thanks

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Imo its legit, - looks like the serialing done to my x-1909/1920 Amberg, the 1920 is a property marking and alone doesn't mean it was ever reworked, though most by far were as they stayed in German service and once the 98a was relegated to training and police work they got used a lot (generally, seen a couple minty) so they got reworked as a result.
I have owned a couple 98a with plum wore out bores, probably could drop a whole cartridge down the bore!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.