Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
well its winter project time again. here is my kar98a 'Dawn' undergoing a repair. I chose to keep the stock as much as possible, got the donor from another member. the cut was well aft of the rear band, so you will see the splice. also i chose a dovetail arrangement, cause i shoot em and wanted the extra strength (no hiding the cut anyway)..
its coming along. my stock person is going slow, and we still have roughly 1/8 inch to go back, and some fitting on the hand guard. the only part i need now is the dang stacking swivel rod and rear band screw (help anyone?) but ill get one. if you see the recoil lug and buttplate screws, that's what the rest of the metal looked like. carts are still good, and the metal cleaned up well...ill may ask advice on how to get the stain out of the metal 'in the white' parts.....still some cleaning ahead.
so id say about half way home. now you newer folks, you'll never get your money back from a project like this, but i do it for collectors who come after us who wont have the chance to get the original stuff. this rifle was one foot in the grave. ill post on completion (at the range of course)
questions for the boards. on imperail cartouches, whats do they 'mean' i know they are different, can anyone shed some light on these...
did these just take a regular bayo?
do these take 'special' locking screws? the inlet seems awful shallow....

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
The only difference in the lock screws on the kar98a and the gew98 are that the gew98 has one for the rear and one for the front as they have their relief cuts different on their radiused heads due to the rear lock screw being on an angle. Th Kar98a has both locking screws the same , which are identical to the front locking screw on the gew98.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.