Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neck Sleeve Waist Grey Collar

My grandpa gave this to me when he died. Its a Kar98a. I brought it to a gun smith to see what is wrong with it and apparently they said it needs a new bolt because it was a wrong one. I know nothing about guns so I dont even know how to find a new bolt or if I can even find one to fit it. Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
The photo looks a bit small and dark, but it looks like you have a sporterized rifle. It is not uncommon to find these with bolts from other rifles, predominantly a K98k bolt or a Gewehr 98 bolt, as Kar.98a bolts are a bit harder to find. Occasionally you may find one on eBay. I came across a Kar.98a bolt a month ago selling for $150.

Note that K98k or Gew.98 bolts work just fine with it. Unless the gunsmith found something else completely...can you share a few photos of the bolt?

·
Registered
Russian Capture Karabiner 98k
12 Posts
Well having the wrong bolt isn't exactly a deal-breaker. As long as it is a Mauser type fitted for the receiver (ie a variant of the Gewehr 98 design), uses the same caliber, and is safely headspaced properly (which unless you know how to do it yourself, your gunsmith should be able to determine whether it is or isn't), it'll work just fine. My Kar98k has a vz. 24 bolt on it and I've gone through several boxes of full-power ammunition without any issues thus far.

If you're dead-set on finding a matching one, there are many people here who have the experience to tell you where to shop for a great replacement.

Though it would help in identifying exactly what your bolt is with some closer and clearer pictures.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Can you take some close up pics of the bolt? No one here can do much except guess unless they can clearly see it. What was the problem that caused you to take it to the gunsmith to "see what is wrong with it"...?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can you take some close up pics of the bolt? No one here can do much except guess unless they can clearly see it. What was the problem that caused you to take it to the gunsmith to "see what is wrong with it"...?
Trigger Air gun Gun accessory Gun barrel Shotgun

I believe it has a kar98k bolt in it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well having the wrong bolt isn't exactly a deal-breaker. As long as it is a Mauser type fitted for the receiver (ie a variant of the Gewehr 98 design), uses the same caliber, and is safely headspaced properly (which unless you know how to do it yourself, your gunsmith should be able to determine whether it is or isn't), it'll work just fine. My Kar98k has a vz. 24 bolt on it and I've gone through several boxes of full-power ammunition without any issues thus far.

If you're dead-set on finding a matching one, there are many people here who have the experience to tell you where to shop for a great replacement.

Though it would help in identifying exactly what your bolt is with some closer and clearer pictures.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The photo looks a bit small and dark, but it looks like you have a sporterized rifle. It is not uncommon to find these with bolts from other rifles, predominantly a K98k bolt or a Gewehr 98 bolt, as Kar.98a bolts are a bit harder to find. Occasionally you may find one on eBay. I came across a Kar.98a bolt a month ago selling for $150.

Note that K98k or Gew.98 bolts work just fine with it. Unless the gunsmith found something else completely...can you share a few photos of the bolt?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I believe it has a kar98k bolt in it
Yes that looks like a K98K (also called K98) bolt. If it has a K98K bolt in it then of course it is the wrong bolt but these should work fine in either rifle as long as the headspace is correct. Wrong bolts can cause headspace issues but these German rifles were built to such high quality standards with tight tolerances USUALLY that is not a problem. Did your gunsmith say that the bolt needed to be changed? I ask this because your stock has been cut down so it is no longer a collectible rifle. Collectors want their rifles to be in original military configuration, as issued. Yours is not. So if your bolt headspaces correctly you can still shoot it safely. If it doesn't, you can try putting K98A bolt in it and check headspace again. If the gunsmith said that the bolt needed to be changed then perhaps there is a headspace problem.

·
Registered
110 Posts
you need to accurately describe the problem with the gun not working.
Yes...Have you or someone else fired this and encountered a problem that caused you to take it to the gunsmith in the first place? Or were you merely having him check it out just in case?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes...Have you or someone else fired this and encountered a problem that caused you to take it to the gunsmith in the first place? Or were you merely having him check it out just in case?
Well I dont even know if it can fire. My brother told me it cant so I didnt trust him so I brought it to a gunsmith. The gunsmith said its a wrong bolt because it was a large ring bolt and it needs a small ring bolt? I was confused because Im sure my grandpa has fired it or he wouldnt mess it up

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It sounds like your gunsmith is confused or you misunderstood his comments.

The ring diameter has nothing to do with the bolt that is needed. You have a standard length 98 action, you have a standard length 98 bolt, there can be issues with fitting, headspace, cam timing, safety function, etc, but those have nothing to do with the ring diameter of the action.

Watch a couple you tube videos on how the 98 action functions. Take it out to the range and test fire it. Examine the brass and see if there is an issue.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
It sounds like your gunsmith is confused or you misunderstood his comments.

The ring diameter has nothing to do with the bolt that is needed. You have a standard length 98 action, you have a standard length 98 bolt, there can be issues with fitting, headspace, cam timing, safety function, etc, but those have nothing to do with the ring diameter of the action.

Watch a couple you tube videos on how the 98 action functions. Take it out to the range and test fire it. Examine the brass and see if there is an issue.

This is correct. A large number of Kar 98a's have K98k bolts in them today, and they work fine. The main issue could be the headspace as also mentioned, but a simple thing to have checked.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Well I dont even know if it can fire. My brother told me it cant so I didnt trust him so I brought it to a gunsmith. The gunsmith said its a wrong bolt because it was a large ring bolt and it needs a small ring bolt? I was confused because Im sure my grandpa has fired it or he wouldnt mess it up
If your brother told you it can't fire that may very well be the case. Perhaps there is a problem with the extractor or firing pin or spring or any number of other things. Or perhaps your brother had the headspace checked and it was excessive...I would take it to another gunsmith who knows Mausers because it doesn't sound as if the gunsmith you took it to gave you correct information. In one way he was correct, your rifle is a small ring Mauser and you have a bolt in it from a K98 which is a large ring Mauser but that doesn't make any difference, the bolts are basically the same except for differences to the handle/knob. Putting any bolt in another rifle means that the headspace needs to be checked anyway. If you don't trust your brother to tell you the truth then you still need to proceed in the same manner. Take it to a gunsmith who knows Mausers and has headpsace gauges for them. Not every gunsmith will.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts