Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have located an original Kar 98a sling. Nine holes on the end that takes the stock buckle, the stud on the buckle is made of brass. The adjustment buckle is open face steel.
Well used, but it definately looks like the real thing. What is a fair price on one of these?
I have never seen an original for sale without a rifle.

thanks, runner

·
8,105 Posts
98a sling

About 4 or 5 years ago I paid $75 for the one illustrated below, dirty but with no stretching, tight sewing and very good embossing and still firm - no flopping around like a limp dishrag. After cleaning with good saddle soap it looked very nice, I was happy with the price. The pic was taken before cleaning:

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Imperial w/ matching frog, premium price especially if dated like some are, - $150-250 depending on condition; unit marked add, - I still have an artillery marked pre-war 98a sling and I paid over $200 for it 3-4 years back; as to the sling TP shows, I sold it for less than I paid TP for it but I am out of the 98a field for the most part going Simson Suhl fulltime now.

Here is the auction it sold at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270136771330

Sold a few others recently as I had half a dozen 6 months ago (had better part of a dozen at one time), $120-250 is the usual price I sold for over the last few years, and I have seen them do $300 if it has all the bells & whistles.

Oh, of course if its tatty it isn’t worth a great deal, and I have seen some tatty ones which were good for little more than the data (length, dimensions, specs etc..) and the buckle/frog which are prime parts by themselves.

·
Gold Bullet member
592 Posts
98a

I was happy to get it for $200 Bucks. It took me over 5 years of looking to get one that was in the same/near condition of my rifle. I think Simson is dead on. You'd probably be better off in the future buying a mm with sling and selling or parting it out later. I've had better luck doing it this way on the hard to find slings. If anyone has a Gew 98 sling in this condition, please pm me. Thanks BB

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replies. The one I am looking at is not as nice as the one you guys pictured. I think I will offer a $100 and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
runner
DO NOT buy it if it isn't marked! 98k slings should only have 3 holes, MP 40 only has 2. I'm not sure about the brass stud, does seem that some early ones were brass, but be wary. I know the post war Isreali slings had brass.
If no wartime marks on the buckle I'd pass unless the sling is marked.
Isreli's sell for around $20 and are a bit thicker than the wartime Germans ones.
Sarge

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sling is not for a K98k, but designed for the Imperial Kar 98a carbine. Although either will work on a K98k, they are not of the same design.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did get the sling, (as well as the rifle it was attached to) it is definitely a Kar 98 type sling. When I got it home and into the light I was surprised by the markings. It has a
K 168 inspection stamp and below that S/42 (Mauser?) It was attached to a G date Mauser that has the K 167 inspection stamps. When I first saw the mark on the sling I expected it to be 167 also, but it is clearly K 168, an inspection mark for a leathermaker?
I have pictures, but I can't get them to post. If anyone has information on that waffenampt, I would like to see it.

thanks, runner

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Many of the surviving slings are Weimar era, and a good number are transitional slings, and as such were used on many rifles, a couple I have owned were marked similar, I will see if I have images?

This is not unusual, you can find them with many mfg/dates and styles through out the Weimar era. (same configuration of the 98a and I suspect the Radfahrer, 98b & early DRP/BannerK's types also utilized this type of sling? I have not looked through Storz on this but from images I have seen the style is the same minimally- possibly longer?)

·
Registered
2,991 Posts
Images of one I sold a couple years back... got an arsejob on the sale but I have the images and data (probably the worst sale price ever on a 98a style sling!):

"marked P74/ S42... faint cross hatch, and it has the proper 9 adjustment holes, this one is slightly longer than most of the Imperial slings and is 57.5 inches long"

never mind, a re-read shows I misunderstood you're question as to K168, - I wouldn't worry over it though, acceptance study is a subject dear to a couple collectors hearts and there is a lot especially on the accessories not known, - I have seen early 98k style slings with identical acceptance as mine I show yet in full 98k mode (three adj holes, slide etc..) do some images if you can, and if you want the full range of mine drop me an email, - glad to share data with a fellow collector.

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SimsonSuhl, I appreciate the information, my sling is marked just like the one in your posting except for the proof, the P 178 location relative to the S/42 marking is the same. I am now wondering when the first K98k type sling with the roller buckle came into use? Perhaps this sling was original to the 1935 K98k it was on?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts