Gunboards Forums banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

· Silver Bullet member
232 Posts
Hey TP, as a 63 year old former USMC Viet-Nam vet, and a collector, I can truthfully say that I am almost twice the man I was when I went in the military way back when. I would love to be able to take part in re-enactments, but due to health conditions I cannot. However I have and will enjoy this hobby as long as I am able to draw breath, hopefully for many more years. As far as being overweight, look at it as a major investment,,, and how much money I would lose if I lost the weight,,,,,,

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
Hi Paul,
Speaking as a non-reenactor but as a founder of the local chapter of the Weight Watchers Repeat Offenders Program, I would not be put out by the pictures at all. In fact, I have a theory that those of us who collect arms and militaria owe a great debt to overweight infantrymen all over the world. My theory is that there is a much higher survival rate of arms and militaria carried by chunky troops who can't keep up with the charge than with the svelt muscular guys who lead the attack. :)
Regards,
John
On this whole weight issue, anyone who has not already needs to read the editor's column in the latest issue of Man at Arms. There is something of a proof there as to why we collectors need to put on extra weight for the good of society...I haven't stopped laughing yet:laugh:

8,113 Posts
Aww come on Jebber, why do they always have to degenerate into photos of me in my undies?

I believe that we have already done a thread of heavey and old German soldiers, by the last years of the war, every man who could hold a rifle was in uniform, unless they had a job of importance at home.
I enjoyed the photos, thanks for posting the Paul, I understand why you removed them, but it is possible that other posts on this thread should be removed. (like Jebbers post of me in my undies, I thouught only Tuco had a copy of that photo)
Best wishes
gus
Gus, I agree wholehearteddy. And I darn near fell out of my chair when I saw that picture. I'll bet Maggie was rolling her eyes when she took that photo! As a side note, do you still have that much snow or is that a reenactment?

8,113 Posts
Hey TP, as a 63 year old former USMC Viet-Nam vet, and a collector, I can truthfully say that I am almost twice the man I was when I went in the military way back when.
In more ways than one, I am sure. No way I would go back to the tail end of my teenage years. The world wasn't ready for it then and it certainly couldn't handle it now.

I would love to be able to take part in re-enactments, but due to health conditions I cannot. However I have and will enjoy this hobby as long as I am able to draw breath, hopefully for many more years. As far as being overweight, look at it as a major investment,,, and how much money I would lose if I lost the weight,,,,,,
I understand completely, I am diabetic and I am lucky to have friends of many years in the hobby who know what to watch for. We'll just keep on keepin' on. More power to ya. :)

8,113 Posts
On this whole weight issue, anyone who has not already needs to read the editor's column in the latest issue of Man at Arms. There is something of a proof there as to why we collectors need to put on extra weight for the good of society...I haven't stopped laughing yet:laugh:
Thanks for telling us about tplan, I'll have to look it up. Paul, please put the pics back up, and more if you have them.

· Registered
4,356 Posts
Gus, I agree wholehearteddy. And I darn near fell out of my chair when I saw that picture. I'll bet Maggie was rolling her eyes when she took that photo! As a side note, do you still have that much snow or is that a reenactment?
Hey TP, that photo was taken in 2002, I was waiting for a reproduction Kiwi uniform coming from New Zealand, the photo was taken to show the fellow in NZ that it had not arrived yet, the one in the Italian tunic was a few years later, and the reason was the same, I was waiting for a pair of trousers from Italy.
We do not have any snow tight now, but we did get nearly an inch of rain in the past 24 hours, my nieghbors think I am lucky, because I just got my hay planted the day before, they are still not sure that I am actually a minor weather god yet, but they are starting to believe.

Best wishes
Gus

PS I do not have a speedo, but I could order one, and then I would ahve to go to the mail box yet again

8,113 Posts
I do not have a speedo, but I could order one, and then I would ahve to go to the mail box yet again
Waite a minute, for the speedo, you would have to wear what you wear UNDER the speedo so........... Noooooooooo!

Glad you got the uniform and and that you have only had rain. Tell the neighbors that we all know that you are a major (not minor) weather god.

· Copper Bullet member
2,518 Posts
Oh, come on, sure you do.
Yeah, I'm just a stinker, I guess...

Actually, though, I was just having a little fun with it. And the guys in some of the shots really do look pretty good.

You hit the nail right on the head about the expense factor keeping out most of the younger ones. The ones who can tend to be the more prosperous, both in terms of bank account and, all too often, appearance.

FWIW, I turn 60 in July, and am, shall we say, somewhat under-height for my weight. Back when I did look more soldierly and was of military age, I collected mainly Civil War, and did toy now and them with the idea of joining a reenactment group. But I could never quite convince myself that running around in a wool uniform in 90 degree weather fit my personal definition of "having a good time." But, each to his own!

· Diamond Member
4,321 Posts
Not bad! Here's MY favorite lean mean frighting machine. Not many of us would go into battle wearing an egg beater cod piece for body armor. And a personal bathing apparatus! :thumbsup:
'Struth, but is that a Pattern 1888 British bayonet on Charlie's Krag? (sorry, I just can't not look)

21 - 40 of 79 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.