Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I went around looking for you. The weather was warm and dry with a lot of dust blowing around. During the evening a cold front with rain moved in and made some very realistic conditions for us. The temps. were in the low 40's and lots of rain. Saturday ended up being a replay of Friday night with highs in the 40's and more rain in the afternoon. Other than the weather, there was lots of activity and lots of sitting and waiting.....kinda like the real war I suppose.

Maybe I am one of the odd re-enactors out there, but I actually prefer the realism of being forced to sit in the trench and not popping caps.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Sigh...don't get me wrong - the show looks like it was great as usual: I've been reenacting since 1976 - Rev. War, Civil War, WWI, WWII but pictures like these remind me why I've basically done very little of it in recent years. Too many reenactors (and I include myself in this lot) are too old and too "robust" (fat) to put on a realistic impression. When I was 22, 30 pounds lighter and with no gray hair, sure...I could do any impression and look great (and I did). Also, and in some ways this is an even bigger sin as far as I'm concerned, everyone looks like they just stepped out of GQ centerfold in their freshly dry-cleaned uniforms! C'mon guys! Jeez, in MY DAY (yeah, yeah, walked to school in the snow up hill both ways) we'd actually seek out mud puddles to roll around in just before a show and I never, NEVER had my German WWI uniform cleaned. It was dusty, frayed, had a couple of repairs and MG grease/fouling on the cuffs from my 08-15.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you think my uniform is clean.....I would hate to see what your definition of dirty is! ;^) I leave a dust trail when I walked around in my kit. Also, there were at least 4 guys in those photos that are new recruits, so they are wearing new uniforms.

·
8,105 Posts
RIR120, I don't know what you are seeing. I'm not in there of course but I can tell you that I know almost no one (there are exceptions, of course) that ever has a uniform cleaned. I have been wearing the same basic kit for 10 years and it has never been cleaned, just gets the dust knocked out of it after the event. Same with CW when I was doing that. Maybe you were never close to the Stonewall Brigade in those days? :) Below is a recent picture of IR92. Yes a lot of gray hair and a few too many pounds here and there but clean?

Gus, I agree!

Oh, and I'm not in there either. :)

Attachments

·
Copper Bullet member
2,513 Posts
Sigh...don't get me wrong - the show looks like it was great as usual: I've been reenacting since 1976 - Rev. War, Civil War, WWI, WWII but pictures like these remind me why I've basically done very little of it in recent years. Too many reenactors (and I include myself in this lot) are too old and too "robust" (fat) to put on a realistic impression. When I was 22, 30 pounds lighter and with no gray hair, sure...I could do any impression and look great (and I did).
+1 on that. Some of these guys don't just look like they need an extra large uniform, they look like they need a extra large trench.

Don't mean to sound harsh, but to me, a reenactor should at least present a reasonable approximation of a "lean, mean, fightin' machine". That was one of my pet peeves about Bert Werner's recent and non inexpensive book about the arms, equipment and uniforms of the AEF in WW1. The reenactor photos in the book (which I believe included the author) contained far to many over-age, over-weight "soldiers", nothing like what the typical "real" doughboy looked like. Couldn't they have at least found some men of suitable age and physical condition, if they wanted to dress people up for color photo similations?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
What pics? What panties?
John,

I removed the photos because of the commentary from the peanut gallery. I posted the photos for enjoyment of my fellow members, but I did not post them to listen to critical commentary, especially from people who are talking out of their arse.

·
Diamond Member with Oak Leaves and Swords
3,472 Posts
John,

I removed the photos because of the commentary from the peanut gallery. I posted the photos for enjoyment of my fellow members, but I did not post them to listen to critical commentary, especially from people who are talking out of their arse.
Hi Paul,
Speaking as a non-reenactor but as a founder of the local chapter of the Weight Watchers Repeat Offenders Program, I would not be put out by the pictures at all. In fact, I have a theory that those of us who collect arms and militaria owe a great debt to overweight infantrymen all over the world. My theory is that there is a much higher survival rate of arms and militaria carried by chunky troops who can't keep up with the charge than with the svelt muscular guys who lead the attack. :)
Regards,
John

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks John!

There are some overweight guys out there, but there also those of us that are well within the range of WW1 Frontsoldaten. I hear negative comments all the time from hecklers about fat re-enactors, but you know what....at least these guys are our enjoying themselves and not sitting on a couch watching others participate in physical activities.

·
8,105 Posts
+1 on that. Some of these guys don't just look like they need an extra large uniform, they look like they need a extra large trench.

Don't mean to sound harsh,
Oh, come on, sure you do. :)

but to me, a reenactor should at least present a reasonable approximation of a "lean, mean, fightin' machine". That was one of my pet peeves about Bert Werner's recent and non inexpensive book about the arms, equipment and uniforms of the AEF in WW1. The reenactor photos in the book (which I believe included the author) contained far to many over-age, over-weight "soldiers", nothing like what the typical "real" doughboy looked like. Couldn't they have at least found some men of suitable age and physical condition, if they wanted to dress people up for color photo similations?
You know, not to argue the point Jungles, because technically you are right, but it is an expensive hobby. Very few 22 year olds, lean and mean or not, can afford it and, let's face it; weight has always been a problem in all of reenacting and in society in general. Remember, WW1 was a total war that almost no one alive today remembers. It sucked up and devoured people on a scale that we have not seen for over 60 years and extensive training and conditioning that modern armies luxuriate in was not available in 1917, especially in European armies. Men were taken into service, overweight or not and even, in some cases, in poor health. They were given the basics of training and sent into the meat grinder to survive or be spit out. By photographic evidence, we know that some did not match your image of a soldier, especially Europeans whose armies suffered staggering loses.

Personally, I weigh 145 and stand 5' 8", exactly the same as 40 years ago when I was 17 so I am not too concerned about myself and I do not complain about the guys who do carry extra weight. And at 57, I certainly can’t say anything against the guys who, as you say, are “over-age”. In the above photograph of IR92, there are at least 6 veterans and 4 of them are combat veterans - Vietnam and Desert Storm. That is not unusual in the WW1 hobby. If they have picked up a few pounds, we don't feel like anyone should complain, they have "seen the elephant" and can bring actual experience to the hobby. We worry about tactics and trying to do things right. The trenches, bunkers and all other physical aspects of our surroundings are built and maintained by the participants on land purchased by the participants. It is hard work. Sometimes we get it right and others we don't but there is a constant effort to improve the experience.

And one last thing: our events are not open to the public so only we see what we look like, we are not posing for photographs in books. It sounds like you know little about the hobby and have an idealized image of people in the past. If you have a problem with the images chosen by the author of a certain book, maybe you should complain to him and offer to be his model for future editions? Then come out and join us. I’ll bet you will learn a lot and would enjoy the experience. We would enjoy seeing and meeting you and you will not be judged by any other standard than that of what you can contribute.

·
8,105 Posts
John,

Paul, I wish you had left them, they were great and I appreciated seeing them as did others. The peanut gallery will always be around, good people shouldn't be bothered by their foolishness. Besides, now all we have is a picture of Gus waiting for the mail! Historically accurate, yes I'm sure, but like so much of the devastating photography of the damage done by WW1, frightening.......

(The above comment from the "peanut gallery" will be deleted 10 seconds after reading. The typist's fingers will be justifiably smacked with a ruler.)

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Aww come on Jebber, why do they always have to degenerate into photos of me in my undies?

I believe that we have already done a thread of heavey and old German soldiers, by the last years of the war, every man who could hold a rifle was in uniform, unless they had a job of importance at home.
I enjoyed the photos, thanks for posting the Paul, I understand why you removed them, but it is possible that other posts on this thread should be removed. (like Jebbers post of me in my undies, I thouught only Tuco had a copy of that photo)
Best wishes
gus

1 - 20 of 79 Posts