Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
In combat pics there are K98ks without them. An RG34 is a better cleaning tool really. I had heard that the technical advisor to that movie, I think a fellow forum participant, went out of his way to see to it that the weapons were right.

·
Registered
581 Posts
True, I just thought it as kinda odd to see no sight hoods or cleaning rods on the rifles that were used by the reserve army in berlin...really no reason to take them off. Now in north Africa I could understand...

·
Banned
9,193 Posts
You're right TH. There would have been rods I reckon, for guard units and such. This would have been particularly necessary in stacking arms.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Valkyrie

Hello All. Thanks for the Head's up. The previews looked really cool. I like historical movies if they're both Historically and technically correct (IE uniforms, weapons etc.). I was planning on seeing this movie but I wanted some imput on it first. Thank again.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Good Film

They spent a great deal of money in making that movie look correct. The only bad thing about the film was Tom Cruise as the leading character. He did his usual action film thing and was not convincing in the role he played. On the other hand the K98k rifles looked spot on and suprisingly new as if it were 1944 and they were just issued.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,324 Posts
I think I'll try to load my HSC by grinding it against a table top LOL. I haven't seen it because the lines were too long, will try again tomorrow. I hope it's better than the pianist where the Germans were wearing Spanish helmets and carrying some sort of a straight bolt rifle.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I thought it was very good and all weapons were, for the most part correct. It was really cool how they had the sniper's in the trench's on the roadside leading up to the Wolf's lair. That's what I call top notch security. The only problem I had with the movie, was the meeting room where the bomb exploded. As I recall from a book description it was a larger room and the table was much larger. Seems the blast would have done more damage to the one in the movie as oppose to the real life one as described in the book.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Seems the blast would have done more damage to the one in the movie as oppose to the real life one as described in the book.
You have to realize though in both real life and in the movie the bomb was intended to work in the confined and pressured spaces of the Wolf's Lair so it worked out pretty similar. Anyway, I did like the movie. Really well done, and even some of his known famous sayings were historically accurate.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bearing in mind the source is Wikipedia..;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claus_von_Stauffenberg
n 1943, Stauffenberg was promoted to Oberstleutnant i.G.[9] (lieutenant-colonel of the general staff), and was sent to Africa to join the 10th Panzer Division as its First Officer in the General Staff (Ia). There, while he was scouting out a new command area, his vehicle was strafed on 7 April 1943 by British fighter-bombers and he was severely wounded. He spent three months in hospital in Munich, where he was treated by Ferdinand Sauerbruch. Stauffenberg lost his left eye, his right hand, and the fourth and fifth fingers of his left hand. He jokingly remarked to friends never to have really known what to do with so many fingers when he still had all of them. For his injuries, Stauffenberg was awarded the Wound Badge in Gold on 14 April 1943 and for his courage the German Cross in Gold on 8 May 1943.

·
Registered
22 Posts
True, I just thought it as kinda odd to see no sight hoods or cleaning rods on the rifles that were used by the reserve army in berlin...really no reason to take them off. Now in north Africa I could understand...
Haven't seen it yet but you think their technical experts would have caught that. But then again I didn't see many sight hoods/rods in Enemy at the Gate either. And the American sniper in Kellys Heroes was using a Mosin sniper rifle. Oh well-thats Hollywood.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
The History Channel just had (Sunday) a 2-hr piece on the "real true" story of the German resistance. Great to have watched both within about 48hrs of each other.. loved the movie... despite TC's performance.

I saw the History Channel episode, very interesting, I did not realize that some of the Generals were plotting to kill Hitler, and made an attempt, as early as January of 1943. Too bad they were not successful in killing the SOB then, millions of lives would have been saved.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.