Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Gold Bullet member
7,016 Posts
I think they are allowed, but strangely, when advertized, all eagles and swazi's have to be covered or blanked out!
I saw a German version of GunBroker with many k98's, Mosins, etc..all the 98's had the eagle/swazi's taped over, but otherwise the stuff was very much like our stuff.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
K98k are perfecly legal over here and are quite often seen on shooting ranges too.
Was on the rage today, fellow shooter had his scoped Frankonia refurbuilt .308Win cambered K98k at 100m.

Matching examples go for quite high prices, like in the US.

You need quite a lot paperwork to own guns in Germany, but if you once have jumped all the hurdles, you can buy as many guns, as you can pay for and store according to the requirements by law.
I have seen some quite big collections so far :))

SS runes and swasticas have to be covered, when shown public or on pics for public showing, that's all.

Chris

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
K98k are perfecly legal over here and are quite often seen on shooting ranges too.
Was on the rage today, fellow shooter had his scoped Frankonia refurbuilt .308Win cambered K98k at 100m.

Matching examples go for quite high prices, like in the US.

You need quite a lot paperwork to own guns in Germany, but if you once have jumped all the hurdles, you can buy as many guns, as you can pay for and store according to the requirements by law.
I have seen some quite big collections so far :))

SS runes and swasticas have to be covered, when shown public or on pics for public showing, that's all.

Chris
That's cool man. I didn't know that. Good that you guys over there get some piece of history too. :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I love the way the K98k in the video recoils. BOOM!! BOOM! It sounds like a bazooka from a distance. LOL I have to try those heavier bullets. So far the only ones I've fired are 147 grain Romanian ammo. Almost looks like the guy in the vid was going to have a dislocated shoulder. I've also been reading a lot of German soldier memoir books like Forgotten Soldier by Guy Sajer and other authors. Reading this one book now called Sniper on the Eastern Front by Sepp Allenberger. He says at about 40 or so rounds, you get severe bruising with the K98k and this causes decreased accuracy. I suppose what he means is that you start to flinch since you anticipate the pain, and so you tend to fire a bit off.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
"You need quite a lot paperwork to own guns in Germany, but if you once have jumped all the hurdles, you can buy as many guns, as you can pay for and store according to the requirements by law. I have seen some quite big collections so far :))"

Well, that's true, and not true. It depends upon the kind of license you have. Most krauts that have guns have a waffenschein that is either for hunting or target shooting. That determines how many firearms you may own. I forget the numbers but yes, there is a LOT of paperwork but you just can't buy tons of guns once you get the waffenschein. The limitations on the numbers of handguns one may own is the reason that germans are so into pistols with interchangeable barrels/slides. Yes, there are some large collections. I knew a guy who had a huge sniper rifle collection. However everything in germany is a privilege-not a right. To excercise the privilege of having a large collection requires a LOT of money, time, patience, connections.

Likewise when the government there decides that you no longer warrant the privilege-POOF-no guns.

Now Switzerland-ah that's a different story. It's easier to get a full-auto in Switzerland that it is to get a drivers license.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope by "covered" it doesn't mean a mandatory peening of the swastikas. So I'm assuming you can buy German K98s with intact Swastikas and WaA markings there right? What's the news on faked K98 and renumbered K98 rifles there? Is it pretty often like here in the US too?

I would also like to do research on possibly importing German K98s rifles from Germany to the US. Anyone know where I should start? I already have my Type 03 license, but I for sure know that's not enough.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
When I was stationed in Germany (96-03) I used to go to some of their gunshows (not as many and much smaller than those in the US). Now unless things have changed here are my recollections of prices. Any german rifles from WWII were much higher than a similar rifle in the US. When K-43's were going for $1500.00 in the US a similar K-43 in germany would go for over $3000.00. The same with K-98's. The weapons could still have the Swastika's on them. You have to understand that for the krauts, they too are kinda sorta fascinated by German WWII rifles-especially nice ones and if Karl, Klaus, or Heinz is going through all the trouble to get a K-98 or K-43 he wants a nice one-ergo that drives up the prices.

What was cheap? Believe it or not M-1 Garand and M-1 carbine receivers were selling for like $50.00 each. Carbine receivers were often in the grease.

Exporting, unless it is in large amounts, or you get the rifles dirt cheap won't be worth it once you tack on shipping, packing and export fees. I imported a couple of Schmidt-Rubin rifles outa Switzerland (K-31, K-11 and G-11) through Simpson Ltd. and did save a lot of money as I was able to buy the K-11 and G-11 for like $90.00 each.

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
Forum members from Germany, what does a K98 cost you? What type of surplus ammo do you run across?

·
Silver Bullet member
2,327 Posts
One more thing, if you notice the front sights, they look more like a VZ 24, Polish Radom, or even the 1937 Portuguese contract mauser, not a K98. Can anyone else tell what this guy's shooting??

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
When I was stationed in Germany (96-03) I used to go to some of their gunshows (not as many and much smaller than those in the US). Now unless things have changed here are my recollections of prices. Any german rifles from WWII were much higher than a similar rifle in the US. When K-43's were going for $1500.00 in the US a similar K-43 in germany would go for over $3000.00. The same with K-98's. The weapons could still have the Swastika's on them. You have to understand that for the krauts, they too are kinda sorta fascinated by German WWII rifles-especially nice ones and if Karl, Klaus, or Heinz is going through all the trouble to get a K-98 or K-43 he wants a nice one-ergo that drives up the prices.

What was cheap? Believe it or not M-1 Garand and M-1 carbine receivers were selling for like $50.00 each. Carbine receivers were often in the grease.

Exporting, unless it is in large amounts, or you get the rifles dirt cheap won't be worth it once you tack on shipping, packing and export fees. I imported a couple of Schmidt-Rubin rifles outa Switzerland (K-31, K-11 and G-11) through Simpson Ltd. and did save a lot of money as I was able to buy the K-11 and G-11 for like $90.00 each.
Anarchy,

I am looking at using them for an importation. What does their import marking on the rifles you imported look like and where is it? That's the only part that worries me.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
If they come from germany the krauts probably have re-proofed them and have stamped them as such. The importer in the US then must stamp his import marks on them. Bear in mind that the dollar is getting the crap kicked out of it by the euro. I looked on the website of the biggest german firearms retailer Frankonia-Jagd. They are selling RC 98k's for 249 EU which is 353.00 USD. To get 98k's cheaper than that you'll have to buy in bulk. You really think that you can compete against IO who is based in germany and has tons of contacts? Then add on shipping, customs, insurance, etc. and oh by the way as I recall, and I could be wrong, the rifles have to stay in a bonded warehouse until the paperwork is approved. The cost of these rifles will start to add up.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Sight hood looks OK, just the lighting. From what I've read most of the stuff out of Russian came through Europe and they had first crack at the best ones.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Maybe I can answer some questions, but I am not an expert for K98k, I do not even own one!!! My only Mauser 98 type rifle is a brazilian Musquefal M968.

Prices are higher, than in the US for both, rifles and ammo.
Russian captures and yugoslavian refurbs go from 250 to 350 Euro, sometimes one can find them cheaper but not often.
Purely german, unmessed with K98k are rare, and commad high prices, 500Euo +++.
Surplus ammo is available, mostly yugoslavian an romanian, lot of ignition problems with that stuff.
For target shooting the israeli and norwegian K98k are prefered, also rebarreled K98k in .308Win or 8x57IS(Lothar Walther Match barrels).
There are special competitons only for K98k, because in service rifle competions Swedish Mausers, Enfields and Swiss Schmidt-Rubins are way ahead.

Chris the Kraut :))

1 - 20 of 22 Posts