Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

A relative of mine picked up a lightly sporterized, mostly matching K98k for cheap a few years ago that only had the stock cut down to the barrel band and he's been trying to restore it ever since. The catch is that the K98k is a dot 43 with a 'dot' marked hardwood stock and handguard with cupped buttplate so he's been looking for a 'dot' marked hardwood stock to properly restore it. Recently, one came up for sale but the bolt takedown disk seems to be pretty far back compared to every other K98k stock I've seen. Any clue as to why it's like this and is it truly a legitimate K98k stock or a fake that I should pass on? Attached are some pics from the listing. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

·
Gold Bullet member
1,287 Posts
Two options, first the original DOT stock was drilled in the wrong location and used anyway. Second option it’s a postwar stock it’s had the DOT and disk added to it and they put it in the wrong spot and the damaged next to the disc is where they obscured postwar markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Two options, first the original DOT stock was drilled in the wrong location and used anyway. Second option it’s a postwar stock it’s had the DOT and disk added to it and they put it in the wrong spot and the damaged next to the disc is where they obscured postwar markings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If a post war stock was used it should have a hole drilled at the lower edge of stock under the buttplate. Removing the buttplate should tell if that's the case. I think Brünn QC was pretty good, and that TD location is noticeably a little off, but having no affect on function they may have let it slide through inspection?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.