Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my new Yugo refurb K98k to the range today (and actually shot it!). It shot great, but wouldn't extract the fired cases. Out of 20 rounds, I think it only extracted 3. I could see that the extractor was going around the case rim as it fed, but when I pulled the bolt back after firing, the case was still in the chamber...I had to take a cleaning rod and poke them out. They didn't seem to be sticking, and everything else worked fine. Any ideas?

·
Banned
7,240 Posts
Time for a new extractor!
They run around $20 on e-pay.

·
Registered
523 Posts
M98 extractor slips off:

Bevelled guide damaged? Check replace extractor.

Bevelled guide OK? Check guide bevel in bolt body.

Bolt guide bevel damaged? Replace bolt body.

Extractor tension is correct when the cartridge rim slot pushes the extractor claw outward approx. .004". The extractor claw should allow the cartridge rim to slide about half-way in the the bolt face recess before beginning to exert spring pressure on the cartridge rim slot.

The extractor's guide bevel must maintain positive engagement inside the the bolt's bevelled extractor guide slot during extraction.

1. Test engagement by installing a dummy cartridge, pulling the claw forward, and trying to push the claw away from the bolt body.

2. Then, move the extractor to the rear until it stops. Push the extractor sideways with the rim of a dummy cartridge. With bevelled guide disconnected, the extractor claw should deflect just enough ot climb over the rim of the chambered cartridge.

Compare the extractor claw with a known good example

This info from Kuhnhausen's Mauser Shop Manual.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I got it. When I cleaned the rifle I made sure I cleaned under the claw real good, but tonight I was playing around with the bolt and figured out how the extractor comes off and is supposed to slide on the little "claws" on the ring, and that area had some cosmolene in it and it was sticking. I cleaned it up, cycled some rounds thru it and it seemed to work fine. We'll know next time I shoot it. Thanks for all the input.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Just so you know there are two types of extractors you can find on Mauser 98 bolts. The first one is the type with the "square" claw edge. I think you can find this in Czech bolts. The second type is the "rounded" edge type that you can find on most RC K98s. I've had this problem before with a bolt m/m matching K98 I bought. I think it was a Czech bolt in it. When I cycled rounds in it they would go in but only some would be extracted. But when I tilt the chamber towards the buttstock the casing just slides out. Then I took a bolt from an RC I have with a rounded extractor and all the casings chambered were extracted.

Also when you buy an extractor on eEbay or Numerich you most likely will get a new production Mauser 98 extractor. Almost all extractors on Gunbroker and Ebay are like this. The problem with them is that they are oversized and NEED to be machined by a gunsmith to make that rounded look. Here where I live there is only one gunsmith shop that services several counties and they charge $60 to machine and fit the extractor to the K98 bolt. Test firing charge is included in the fee. I chipped an extractor on one of my RC shooters and wanted it fixed but didn't since the service costs as much as a complete RC bolt. In the end I just used the bolt on another K98 I have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts