Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Found a non-import total mismatch K98a today while trolling (dont bother snipers, it was a private sale item). It was a 1915 Erfurt, Century "Fair" condition exterior wise, duffle cut just ahead of the magazine well and repaired w/ brass pins. Correct bolt and bands and such. Broken handguard, cleaning rod, fair/dark cruddy bore, but might clean up to fair/good standards. Solid stock otherwise. Just a complete old K98a that looks like it was in grandpas closet for the last 50 years. No rust, just brown patina. Wondering if it was worth even bothering with and if handguards are available. Asking price was what I though of as steep at $185, but Im sure I could barter him down a little. Thank you for any help... Mark

·
Banned
2,870 Posts
Handgaurds are a bit hard to find....and stocks are not easy either. I think at one time sombody was going to or did make some repo HG's for these. 185 is probably OK....but if it were me, and as you describe....I would feel better at 125....my 2 cents worth....

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
ok, IF you like restoring em. im sure sooner or later youll find the correct parts. wont be cheep or quickly done. i do junker k98's and they are sometimes a bit##H

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
Cleaning rod? On a KAR/a?

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yep, stacking rod... sorry. Well, I think I will pass. I have enough projects as it is. Thank you for all the info guys...

Mark

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
I tend to agree with your decision.
I used to keep two of them in "project" status hoping to find the rest of the bits...
I watched two stock sets on e-pay but they quickly went far beyond what I thought I should pay for a resto furniture set.
I ended up parting them out to other poor souls who had a dream of finding "the rest of the bits".
Good news (for me anyway) was two years later a matched one fell in my lap!
So perhaps if you suffered and dreamed a while longer, the milsurp gods will take pity on you too!

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man that is a nice one chasdev. That stock is gorgeous. Maybe someday I'll stumble across one. Just havnt bought anything new in almost a year and I am getting a little trigger happy I think. :) Thanks again... mark

·
Gold Bullet member
7,131 Posts
It's a good thing it has a few dings, otherwise my head would swell to gigantic size!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts