Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to sell my k98 and want to get an accurate estimate of what I could get for a k98 that is matching except for Bolt

·
Moderator/Silver Bullet Member
18,785 Posts
Please be kind and give us much more information. We need to know the maker, year, markings, configuration, condition, etc. Pictures of all the markings in adequate indirect light and without flash are best. Get as close to the markings as you can, and at 90 deg angle. Don't post any blurry pictures.

As stated, it could be anywhere from $300 to $1,3000.

·
Registered
940 Posts
The general rule of thumb is that a bolt mismatch is priced at about 50 percent of a completely matching rifle, all other things equal.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
For sure. Bore condition matters as well as code. Some more rare than others. Would like to see what you have for a better evaluation.

·
SKS GOD OF GUNBOARDS
1,524 Posts
Not uncommon for miss match bolts as the bolts were removed when troops boarded ships to come home then were handed back when they left the ship. No chance you got your own bolt back.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Impossible to value without detailed photos. Also, not saying this applies to you, but many folks have different ideas of what is "matching", or bolt mismatch only. I've seen some say that they have "all matching" parts on a rifle that has been sportered and has missing bands and a cut and sanded stock. What's left is "matching", but somewhat irrelevant.

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you are trying to get a general idea of value and what collectors and shooters look for see these two SRF links. It is best to post a photo of the rifle and closeup views of the markings so the experts on this forum can give you a fairly close estimate. There are always tons of attributes and factors that effect a value. The book values and auction values get you into hand grenade range>
Read Stan and martin's comments

Value sources:

What most consider when buying a surplus rifle:

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
Condtion drives gun prices. However best condition 98K with a mismatched bolt is not going to bring 98K prices. At best it will bring Russian Capture level prices which generally run 600
dollars with some selling a bit higher for obtuse reasons yet to be defined , I suspect brain injury but todays market is insane so perhaps that explains it.

Mis matched rifles are not the Kill Shot for 98K collectors. never will be for good reasons. Mis Matched 98K are great shooters if head space is correct.... but 8mm ammo has been in the near extinct category for decades so there just is not a great demand for 8mm shooter Mausers in a world of Black Rifles & Glocks. Nor 303 caliber rifles or 7.7 Japanese, etc etc.

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
Trying to sell my k98 and want to get an accurate estimate of what I could get for a k98 that is matching except for Bolt
Would need to see the rifle to judge overall condition. IF truly all matching except the bolt, and in VG or better condition, even a common code will bring $900 to $1000. I sold a bolt only mismatch to a FFL dealer for resale, and I got $800 and that was over a year ago, they have not gotten cheaper. Go to gun broker.com and check the sold listing for K98ks.

·
18,785 Posts
Would need to see the rifle to judge overall condition. IF truly all matching except the bolt, and in VG or better condition, even a common code will bring $900 to $1000. I sold a bolt only mismatch to a FFL dealer for resale, and I got $800 and that was over a year ago, they have not gotten cheaper. Go to gun broker.com and check the sold listing for K98ks.
That is assuming that the gun is whole. We don't know if the gun in the OP is chopped down on the barrel, stock, drilled and tapped....

... that's why we need pictures.

·
Registered
18,307 Posts
Hey Martin 08, while we wait for pictures, let me make your day. I degreased a vet bring back 98K DOT 43, near mint condition, all parts matching. K Series. I was thinking all the time, I should save this WWII German grease for you !!!!!!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
Condtion drives gun prices. However best condition 98K with a mismatched bolt is not going to bring 98K prices. At best it will bring Russian Capture level prices which generally run 600
dollars with some selling a bit higher for obtuse reasons yet to be defined , I suspect brain injury but todays market is insane so perhaps that explains it.

Mis matched rifles are not the Kill Shot for 98K collectors. never will be for good reasons. Mis Matched 98K are great shooters if head space is correct.... but 8mm ammo has been in the near extinct category for decades so there just is not a great demand for 8mm shooter Mausers in a world of Black Rifles & Glocks. Nor 303 caliber rifles or 7.7 Japanese, etc etc.

I agree with most of this except being the same value as an RC K98k. I think most folks that are into these would value a true bolt mismatch a fair amount over what an RC goes for. As I recall, bolt mismatched were generally valued in $600-$800 range when all matching were going for about $1200-$1500, and RC's were going for $400 or less. Of course, everything is more today on that scale. Generally, as mentioned earlier in this post, bolt mismatch should go for about 50% of what all matching version of same rifle would sell for.

·
18,785 Posts
Hey Martin 08, while we wait for pictures, let me make your day. I degreased a vet bring back 98K DOT 43, near mint condition, all parts matching. K Series. I was thinking all the time, I should save this WWII German grease for you !!!!!!
A 43 German Mauser was sent to the front for immediate use, so it was probably just greased by the GI for preservation after capture with good old American grease. I have PLENTY of that grease in the actions of my guns. But I do so gratefully appreciate the thought. Cheers!

·
Registered
2,872 Posts
That is assuming that the gun is whole. We don't know if the gun in the OP is chopped down on the barrel, stock, drilled and tapped....

... that's why we need pictures.
And probably why I began my post with, “Would need to see the rifle…”

·
Registered
418 Posts
s it Privi Partisan or S&B that makes a factory match load 7.9x57mm?
Actually both, S&B and Prvi Partizan is what most shoot as new factory ammo. Both load them full power vs American brands like Winchester and Remington 8mm mauser. I favor Prvi for its better brass to reload for a second and third time. I am not fond of S & B brass.

·
Registered
193 Posts
And probably why I began my post with, “Would need to see the rifle…”
I look at pictures thinking there is something they do not want me to see. A friend called me about a purchase he made; he said there were three receivers with bolts and trigger guards etc. and thousand of bullets. I was not interested in the bullets and then he went on to say there were boxes of dies., He should have known I was not interested in the 5 boxes of lee dies, that left one set of 7.65 B.M Anyhow he did some fast math and decided I should pay $10.00 each for the dies and $60 for the three receivers (all sight unseen).

The receivers were FN Mausers, included were tools like I make. The previous owner made chamber gages from the old FN barrels. I should have asked for a picture that would have saved me money and my friend a trip; but then I would not have had the opportunity to purchase the receivers.

F. Guffey

1 - 20 of 20 Posts