Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was trying to sight in my 'mock' k98 LSR sniper and ran into an interesting issue that I think could be from a few things.

My setup:

BCD4 (RC) that shoots MOA at 100 yards
Repro LSR mount from Igor (installed by Apfeltor Gunsmithing)
Authentic Zeiss Zielsechs Seriel #7497

I was using 200gr Speer bullets infront of 44grains of IMR4064 in unfired Remington brass.

My issue was the same from the getgo. When I had the reticle at the 100m setting, I would shoot extremely under the target at 75m. Once I cranked it up to the 800m setting, I was almost dead center.......at 75m! This is quite a problem.

I was thinking I could shim underneath the scope in the rear ring, but after trying that, the scope fit funny and looked like crap. I am also not sure this could be from the setup, as when I did fire, the rounds grouped everytime...it's just the elevation setting.

Considering that the scope was made at around 1920 I believe, this could also lay in the ammo as I think the cam drop was calibrated for the 150gr round, or? Would using a hotter 200gr round be the culprit? I am going to try to load a batch of 150 and 170 and try again this weekend...but this situation is really bothering me.

Any suggestions or observations?

Thanks

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
i have a mannlicher schoenauer, not really the same but... its what shooed me away from any notion of maken up a sniper, that besides shooten one. my mannlicher scope is a balvar. no adjustments on the scope. none. you adjust the MOUNTS. real accurite. but a total bear to shoot in if jarred or bullet change. when you move the windage you will also move the elevation. wierd. i had to shim the mount. under the mount. now with you low? its the rear that has to come up. the sniper i shot was great. cool three line cross hairs. but i never liked the hight issue. ill stay to my k98's with iron sights.
i hope this helps. im just tryin to brain storm with you. can you post pics?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I tore the rifle down last night, as I had just received it back from the gunsmith my private range uses who had a look at lightening up the original trigger.....and I noticed that there was a round 'shim' nut between the rear trigger screw and the wood.

This would definetly make the rifle sit higher in the rear in the stock, making the POA go way down; hence my reticle needing to be at the lowest height setting at even 75m.

I took it out (dont know WHY it was in there) reassembled the rifle and noticed right away that the floorplate sat more evenly in the stock and that the rear screw came further up into the rear tang.

Ill see if this fixes my issue this weekend.

·
Registered
7,950 Posts
For sure bedding can change the point of impact and affect your zero....But the scope is fixed to the barreled action and will NOT move the bullet impact way down because the barreled action is sitting higher in the rear of the stock. The scope piviots WITH the barrelled action if you shim it in the wood. POI remains almost the same.

Your gunsmith should have shimmed or filed your mount to put your scope in a close "bore sight" when mounted on the rifle. Then you would have only minor adjustments to make with your scope.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts