Gunboards Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the forum but have been researching posts here for some time to build a K98 repro Long Side Rail sniper, but on a budget less than $900. After collecting k98’s for some time now. I found an RC k98, a byf 42 mismatched, on Gunbrokers, but in very good shape (some pitting on receiver and hot blued by the Soviets, but with a great bore and deep grooves.) She shot decent groups with iron sights at 100 yrds., depending on ammo used. Refinished the Russian stock by taking the red varnish off and lightly sanding, re-blued the bolt, and attached a European post-war repro LSR (simple procedure with use of standard drill press and metric taps.) The LSR mount cost as much as the rifle ($250), but was worth it, rock solid.
The great find was after searching e-bay for the better part of a year, I found a MSW Wetzlar pre-war 6x40 scope waffen stamped WaA63 (either a Mauserwerke H.G 1937-39, or a Waffenwerk Bruan A.G. 1938-1940). Glass is in great shape, German post reticle, with a little rust and worn spots on the tube, but an awesome scope (only $200 from a seller on the west coast.)
Patience and a lot of searching and reading on this and other gunboards paid off, the finished product shoots 1-2 inch groups at 100 yrds (once the scope was adjusted) and 2-3 inch at 200 yrds with factory 8mm ammo. For those purists, she is an obvious repro, but awesome to shoot and will remain in my functioning collection along with my C&R SMLE's and other k98's, not a safe queen.

View attachment 10546

View attachment 10547

View attachment 10548

·
Registered
155 Posts
Repros are fun, I'm building a Low Turret setup myself right now. I thought about buying a mock high turret setup from Iron Eagle, but I decided to try and machine my own. I have finished the front base and mount and I'm just about half way done with the rear mount.
I'll post some pictures when I'm finished with them.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts