Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings, All:

This is my first post to this forum and my question concerns K98 sight hoods. I have a few books on K98's and have read many posts on this forum (and others) but I'm unable to find the difference between original K98 sight hoods and reproduction hoods. I've heard (and read on vendor sites) that the repro sight hoods are thinner, bend easily and pop out of the sight notch very easily. However, I have friends with sight hoods they say they bought as reproductions and they appear to be of the same quality and thickness as the originals I've seen. Is there a "sure-fire" way to discern an original from a repro? With originals going for big bucks nowadays, I'd hate to purchase an "original" that turns out to be a weathered $10 repro.

Also, I've seen on Gunbroker and other sites, "bnz" front sight hoods going for as much as $149. Did Steyr specifically mark their hoods which make them more collectable?

Appreciate any advice or references. Thanks.

Dale

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, I may have found the "bnz" answer after searching through several posts. It seems the bnz hoods are rounder and shorter than the standard hoods with flat edges. Still looking for the repro answer.

·
Diamond member
1,631 Posts
There's a "bnz" hood on GunBroker which is not bnz. Keep in mind that just because someone says something is bnz or original does not make it so. The blueing on many of the repros is different than original. There are higher quality repros. They may be thicker and stronger, but they still won't have the patina and the metal finish will likely be different as well.

·
Silver Bullet Member
2,648 Posts
If I had to guess I would say most of the ones on the market are repro's. Where would they come up with alll of them, they seem to be everywhere. Just like cleaning rods. where there is a market there will be a supplier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.