Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a few questions about k98s. Most K98s should have a laminated stock, while some may have a hardwood walnut stock, correct? Or do I have it messed up? Also, what are different ways to spot fakes? I know proof mark consistency, scratches/odd finish on markings, incorrect parts for different years, ghost letters/stamps, and odd font compared to other markings on the rifle or odd font compared to other rifles from the same factory are ways to tell. Also you can tell if the stock has been refinished if the disc or other metal parts in the stock have finish on them, correct? Am I missing anything? Finding RCs is pretty simple, but I want to be confident at finding fakes too. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
All K98's had solid walnut stocks prior to 1937, then the laminates were introduced. At that point walnut was used still, just less made. Depending on maker too. The bSw rifles to my knowledge never used laminate right up to 1939 when they were taken over and the code was changed to 337 then later bcd. You seem to know what to look for to find fakes, now as with anything you need time. Takes time to readily spot fakes. Some are getting good and it takes a bit of on the job training to spot them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks! I have gotten an all matching ce 42. I know it's not fake, but I wanted to be sure so I know what to look for when I expand my collection. I have been looking at gunbroker listings and pictures of fake/odd rifles to try to familiarize myself as much as possible. I have picked up several books recently too. I just need to find time to read and study them.

·
Banned
7,237 Posts
Good luck at the shows, it's been a LONG time since I saw more than one or two K98k rifles at a show..
Hot set up is to find somebody trying to sell one as they walk in the door..

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Depends on the area too I should say. Some places are dry. My area shows have a few around. honest bolt mismatch or matching rifles not so much, but it's a good learning curve to look at them all and mentally pick out all the flaws or fakery.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.