Gunboards Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Silver Bullet Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a k98. I believe it to be a vet bring back. Reciever, barrel bands, handguard, trigger guard match. Bolt numbers all matching to themselves. All appear to be original finish. It does have a heavily sanded Yugo (I think) stock. It is a byf 44 40,3XXd is the reciever number. I am fairly new to these and was wondering a little about the rifle. I assume, of course, that it was built in 1944. The reciever is highly polished - is that surprising for a rifle built that late? Bore has sharp lands but a minor amount of pitting. $300 okay price?

·
Registered
118 Posts
If its non import marked that puts it above the herd of imported, electro-penciled Russian capture guns on the market. With the sanded Yugo stock its hard to say what the value would be. If its Yugo it would most likely have a large serial number stamped on the butt stock. I think that 300 is not a bad price for it though. You may be able to find an original, unmessed with German stock for it, although they are pricey these days.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm assuming that all the waffenampts and proof marks are present and haven't been peened. If they have then the value goes down.

·
Silver Bullet Member
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys.
Yes, all markings are in place. Considering the bolt is all matching and the rest of the rifle is matching, in combination with the lack of import marks, I am pretty sure it is a vet bring back. I went ahead and purchased the rifle. It is not that much more than people are asking for RK's (which I also have). At any rate, the fellow that sold it to me and I shot it last Sunday and it did pretty well with my moderate IMR 4064 loads and 150 gr. Hornaday bullets - so it is a keeper anyway.

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
What are the proof marks under the bolt handle?
Sarge

1 - 6 of 6 Posts